Thread: changing oil cooler lines

pso

changing oil cooler lines

I have a 1998 1 ton pickup with the 350 gas engine and 5 speed manual transmission. I have been losing oil such that I have to add on or two quarts between oil changes (3000 miles). I do not notice any oil being burnt nor do I notice any leaking on the ground. I suspect that the oil cooler lines are leaking from where the metal part is crimped onto the hose. Occasionally, I get a hot burning oil smell after driving for a few miles. It is as if a few drops of the oil was being blown back on to the hot exhaust.

I picked up a pair of oil cooler lines from O'Reilly's the other week but could not figure out how to get the old lines off the engine block. I have been able to get the radiator end off when I changed the radiator a couple of years ago.

After searching this forum, I think I may have figured out how to get the oil cooler hoses off but would like a confirmation that I am on the right track before I start and make a big mess. I am attaching some pictures of the old lines running into the engine and the new lines.

Both the old and new oil cooler lines have a plastic cap on the engine end (white on the old, black on the new). Under the plastic cap there seems to be a retaining clip that goes in the groove of the hex fitting. I am guessing that this clip goes over the ridge near the end of the metal tube once the tube is inserted into the hex fitting. Is there supposed to be an O-ring on the end of the tube where it plugs into the engine? No O-rings were supplied with the new hoses. Would I have to replace the clip too or is it OK to reuse the clip?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Phil
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Welcome to the forum pso.

This might do you...
    Just make sure the clip goes in the "dents" in groove.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Please don't PM truck fix questions, bravely start a new thread for them. It is a forum afterall.

pso
    Thanks for the info, Crabtruck. I've been working late and haven't had a chance to check back here till today.

Take care.

Phil

Letting real life come between you and truck ? Outrageous !!
    Please don't PM truck fix questions, bravely start a new thread for them. It is a forum afterall.

pso
    Oh, no. I drive it to work every day. I just don't always get a chance to check in here. Lots of good info here.

Thanks.

Phil