Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: K1500 upper ball joints, Bolted or riveted?

This is where I bought my parts- SUSPENSION KIT PITMAN IDLER TIE CHEVY K1500 4WD 1994 on eBay.ca (item 330443147970 end time 12-Oct-10 13:34:03 EDT)

Had a **** of a time removing the upper ball joints because the previous owner believed that welding them on was the best choice....

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NSguy View Post

Had a **** of a time removing the upper ball joints because the previous owner believed that welding them on was the best choice....

sorry, i feel bad for you.

really..... i do, but it's just too dang funny!
    <----just your average 5.3

cut off wheel and a BFH

working for chevrolet, I did a lot of these, the secret, is to cut the heads off with the air chisel, or just a hammer and chisel, they cut pretty easy.. then, before takign a punch to them, take a drill, and drill down into the center of the rivet, leaving plenty of shoulder for your punch.. the hole you drill down into the rivet, allows the rivet to collaps INWARD rather than mashing itself against the walls of the a arm, and they pound out MUCH easier... You do not need to drill all the way through, just far enough so that when you drive the rivet down, the expansion has a place to go rather than OUT... the rivets are soft steel, they cut easy, and drill easy, but they also smash easy when your pounding on them... once you have them all driven out, yes, you bolt the replacements in. You can do it in your garage easy enough. an air chisel with a punch the right size for the rivets that fit the air hammer are a major boon, no torch required.

The stock ball joints were riveted. Just take a drill and drill the center of the rivet then cut the head of it off with a grinder, new ones will bolt right in through the same holes.

Uppers on my 95 were riveted on...I used a grinder on the heads then beat them out. The replacement ball joints will come with bolts. It was kind of a pain until I stopped being shy with the grinder. The first side took 2 hours, second side...15 minutes

Quote Originally Posted by diceman1994 View Post
    My 94 has 171,000 miles, the front end needs work to include the upper and lower ball joints, Idler arm, pitman arm and though the tie rod ends seem ok I'll just replace those too. The repair shop stressed the fact that my repair labor will be expensive because my upper ball joints are riveted, has anyone had any experience with these? I can do mostly any work except mess around with rivets.

So far the "Guess-timate" is at about +/- $1000 parts and labor and I am seriously considering doing the work myself. Any recommendations?
    Hey guy I'm restoring an 89 Chevy 4x4 if you do it yourself you will save a bunch its not hard at all. I did mine in one day. The only difference with riveted joints is you have to drill them out. Cut the heads off with a grinder or air chisel. I suggest to get the Chilton book for your truck all the steps are there. The main points when drilling is that you drill a pilot hole with a very good drill bit and drill and use a steeped titanium drill bit to do the main drilling you can get one at Habor Frieght. I did mine and its a 4x4 a two wheel truck is not going to be that bad. If you have any questions email I changed all my own front end parts, just read the manual and get aligned when you are finished. You might as well change your other front end parts while doing that The money you save you could buy those parts to do it.

GOOD LUCK

pita

Just got done doing the upper and lower ball joints on a 96 k1500 4x4. Everything was simple until the last rivet of the upper ball joint. That thing would not come out for anything. I think I may have ground a little too much and welded the tops of the rivets to the control arm. Dremel cut off wheel and hammer made easy work of the others. Good luck. On the install, lower ball joint was a pain to push in straight. Other than that, straightforward.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12