Thread: broken trans case x2 4l60e

broken trans case x2 4l60e

ok throwin this out there to see if ANYONE has ever seen or heard of this before!!!

have a 97 1500 ext cab 4x4 z-71 5.7 with a 4l60e trans.

bought this truck two years ago daily driver with no issues. 3 months ago it cracked the transmission case were it joins up with the transfer case. why? no clue.
    had the transmission rebuilt, and drove it until 3 weeks ago when the same thing happened at the same spot.

after spending a grand to have it fixed the first time the trans shop is refusing to fix it under warranty saying that it must be breaking from abuse!

yes the truck has been off road, no not anytime recently(over a year), nothing extreme and never after the trans was fixed. both times the case failed was when it was on the highway.

please any help, ideas, comments, or suggestions are welcome. heading to the trans shop later in the week to argue with them about fixing it.

thanks, joe

Sounds like a brace is missing causing flex and cracking the case.Got pics?
    Sent using Boost mobile 4g htc evo.

no at the moment i dont have any pics. and the truck is 40 min away at the shop. but i will get some when i go there later this week.

i was thinking it could be a missing brace, but one ran it for almost 2 years with no problems and two you would think if something as important and obvious as a brace was missing the trans shop would have noticed that..... though at this point i am not ruling out anything.

its breaking right were the rear cross member mount would be if it were only two wheel drive.

thank, joe

Dont know what you have for a tcase but mine is a 208 and has a brace from the case to the block that prevents case flex if the slip joint on the front drive shaft binds up.I have a straight axle front but I think you have ifs so not sure what you should or shouldnt have.Could just be a broken motor mount.You would think they would check into why it happened the first time because its not comon.If there is an existing problem that caused both failures Id make a case that the second one it there fault.
    Sent using Boost mobile 4g htc evo.

wow ya know what that is a idea there!!!! both times it happened getting on the highway. so what do you do most times doing that.... JUMP ON IT ! a broken motor mount under the sudden exceleration would sure cause enough twist to brake the case there.

it does have ifs and no support rods anywere.

thanks, joe

Things like this is way all my work is done by my local chevy dealer,although you still have to find a good dealer, had a local dealership replace a plug wire on my 93 camaro at 114 dollars only to get it home and find they did not run it inside the plugwire rail,just hangin down ready to grab roadkill,called and chewed their **** reel good they offered to fix it right+ oil change,I said nope,since then I have put crate motor and new trans in truck by another dealership that was 100%top notch,cost the other guys about 6 grand for a 100 dollar screw up,Im not with any dealership so dont think Im just pluggin,but for the most part, yea you pay more but with a good dealership you get more,a fly by night shop sees you have a bad mount bracket or no brace most are not going to say nothing knowing it will break and you will be back,a good dealship will treat you right and disclose all info,this is JMHO

when the case broke/cracked,did all the trans fluid run out??i got on the interstate yesterday,not hard either,noticed a vib looked up in the mirrors and saw smoke,pulled over and shut off.looked under and fluid was pouring out from what seems to be between the tcase and trans?any tips would be greatly appreciated