Thread: 98 Tahoe Brake Help

98 Tahoe Brake Help

hey guys.. 98 tahoe 4dr 4x4 the ghost in the machine ..lol.. long story short..went to check my brakes all around and replace front pads ..done this 1000 times on other vehicles .. as i go to perform this easy job one of my front brake lines going from (abs unit ?) to passenger front decides to burst so replaced it and also the line from abs to drivers front both rotted..easy fix right..so i install front pads and adjust rear shoes and go to bleed system..well ******* before me has stripped both front bleeders on calipers to toothpicks using visegrips !&**#@$ ..so i attempt to bleed at caliper line cant get air out properly and have spongy pedal also i notice that the front brake portion of reservoir is milky with air bubbles .. so i break down and take the truck to mavass's and ask them to see if they can extract and replace front bleeders and bleed entire system due to i have spongy pedal .. of course mavass tells me i need front new calipers which they replace,when i return to pick up the truck they say we couldnt fix the problem of spongy pedal and excessive air bubbles in front reservoir.so they say leave it that more than likely it a master cylinder so that makes sense to me so i return still spongy pedal and excessive air bubbles in front reservoir..so after i curse them out they charge me $47 dollars for everything which smoothed things over.. so i take truck home and replace all front brake lines so basically only thing not new is brake booster..bleed system still spongy and air bubbles .. so i go old school and take it down dirt road slamming brakes thinking if i cycle abs it should get any remaining air out of abs sytem i take it home and rebleed system and brakes are much better ..but petal is not hard still somewhat spongy but they at least feel trustworthy and bubbles in front brake section of reservoir are there but not as bad ... any suggestions to get a hard pedal back or what i am missing also what is causing the airation of front brake portion of master cylinder reservoir.. seems when pumping brakes getting a whooshing sound and bubbles in master cylinder is this normal..also was thing that if brake lines were crudded up before and are normal and now that what im getting is true chevy truck spongy brake pedal .. any help would be appreciated..

This vehicle simply has air remaining in the system.
    This ABS pump will have to cycle many times in order to pass all of the air that has been introduced to it.
    If you cant cycle the pump manually, then you can do it on the dirt road again, and bleed the brakes on the side of the road. Just take some fluid and a friend to help, and you can continue to cycle the pump until the pedal comes back to normal.

thanks 75k30 , i will try that tomorrow .. cycle abs then bleed on the spot.. repeat it a few times to see if it works .dam do you remember when things were just spark and fuel issues ..now we need a electric sensor to tell a computer that you stepped on the gas and a tire pressure sensor to let you know you need air etc..too much high tech ****.

with you on the tooooo much tech,main reason for it they dont want you to fix it your self,Ill keep my 91z71 till I can no longer get parts then Ill will buy a roll of bailin wire.......