Thread: TBI 350 oil, what to run.

TBI 350 oil, what to run.

My Girlfriends 1990 2500's 350 has started to blow bluish white smoke. Tell tell signs of rings going bad, I guess after 175,000 miles it was bound to happen. She used 1 quart of oil this month, started to visibly smoke. I have been told that running thicker oil can prolong engine life for a while, till january would be very nice If i could. She us currently running 10W-30, Can i run SAE 40 or 15W-40 diesel engine oil and slow the burning? I have heard from a friend that ran thick oil in an aging Chevy 4.3 V6 and prolonged its life for several months.

What would be the best weight to run? 15W-40? SEA 40?

i run 10w30 valvoline with 1 qt. of lucas oil stabilizer and wix filter.

have 91K miles and it still runs fine.

is water level ok, be sure you are not losing water into oil or like mine the intake manifold gaskets were leaking into engine.

might also try a can of restore both these products helped keep oil pressure up on my old tractor

many use shell rotella 15w40 oil

any of these are worth a try, cheap fix, before you pay for a motor rebuild

Coolant level seems to be fine, I can post a vidoe of her smoking, if only i knew how. She is only leaking oil. I have been told that it is the rings, I thought that myself but was hoping it was a gasket. I thought running a thicker oil would slow the burning until I can engine swap or rebuild. It dont have to be driven far. 15 miles at a time is all it sees.

I Have a 5.7L/350 with 152,000 miles and have never had to change any gaskets whatsoever. I use 10W30 Castrol GTX and a court of Syntec and is running strong as ever. Try The Syntec blend to see if it seals up any problem spots. Hope that helps some.

Im just trying to prolong life until im forced to rebuild. After it runs a while and warms up it only smokes when accelerating. But it is burning oil.

id put shell rotella 15w-40 in it the thicker oil wont hurt it i ran it in my camaro after a fresh rebuild and shell is good oil

My Chevy 1500, 350TBI has 430,000km's on it and it used to smoke pretty bad, but I've been running half a jug of Lucas Synthetic Oil Treatment and the rest with Castrol Synthec and it's been stronger than ever now.

15w-40 would be better worked for me

chance are it is the valve seals, do a compression check and evaluate it,
    4 wheels move the body
    2 wheels move the soul
    B.W.A.I
    Snow is a lot like religion and a lot like sex....you never know when you are going to get it!....or how much you will get