Thread: 95 k1500 wont go all the way into park

95 k1500 wont go all the way into park

this morning my wife decided she was going to drive my truck to work because of the roads, and it being so cold, well when its really cold the automatic shifter hasa hard time moving because of water in the cable and it freezing, but once the truck warms up itcan shift fin using the shift.

well she couldnt get it into drive, and took her car. i go out there and try to start the truck but cant and the dash indicator says its in reverse and i cant move it up any more for it to say park, but i move it down into N to start the truck.

well i got under the truck and could pop it into P.

so i think my cable must be stretched from it being frozen and from shifting it like that.
    it goes it goes into park far enough for it to be out of reverse and i can lock the steering wheel, but i cant start the truck. it dims the clock on the dash like it would normally.
    when i put it into park under the truck it started in park like normal.

can i adjust the cable?
    or do i need to replace it?

correct me if im wrong but i think all those trucks are column shift and if thats the case and your truck is as well then it doesnt have a cable.. it should be metal rods with plastic bushings where they pivot.. those plastic bushings get old and crack and that could be your problem.

its a cable, i have messed with it before when i did my body lift. and i had it all apart today. there are some rods in the steering colum but the cable goes right into there to. and when i put it into park underneath the truck, it shifted like normal with no slop, and there is no slop for selecting the other gears. just park and thats when the cable is being pushed all the way not pulled as in over drive

is there enough slack in the cable with the body lift. if its got a tight spot in it then thats the problem.

no i made sure to get the slack, the lift has been on for like 5 months now, and this happened becasue it got cold and the cable froze

nothing? seems like someone would know!

If it has a cable, go buy a new cable. It is probably frayed and its gona brake. But first unhook the cable from the column boss and make sure your problem is not in the column.

ok i read this and im searching for answers to a similar problem, i have a 98 k1500, my shift cable just blew out and after lots of searching i found one at a parts store and it works all fine and dandy till i try to put it back in park it seems like the cable just wont push my trans lever into park, it doesnt seem like theres any way to adjust it but i keep getting told there is any ideas?

Time for a new cable. They wear out.
    Window tint its for window, Not for tail lights. Don't be that guy .

thats the thing it is a new cable.....