Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 98 Silverado gas mileage?

98 Silverado gas mileage?

I just recently purchased a 98 C1500 Silverado. Its got the 350 and im wondering how to get the best gas mileage out of it possible, right now im getting around 13-14 mpg city and probably 18-20 on highway. The mixture of the two i got 271 miles on 21 gallons. Ive heard headers and exhaust could improve gas mileage. Any truth to that? If so whats the best system to go with?

Thanks in advance

Banned
    better flow will improve milage and a good air filter helps.
    if you keep you fuel filter clean too
    also change your oil regularly or a bit more often when the oil starts to get old& black the engine works harder. also transmission oil cgange /flush wouldn't hurt.
    change the transmission to a 700r4 it's got over drive.

different wheel size, air dam.
    keep the tail gate down for less drag.

but really how much do you think it's going to cost to do all this?
    parts, time, labor all add's up
    you can buy alot of gas for all that.

lets face it you bought a truck. not only a truck, but one with a v8

v8's are not exactly known for good gas milage.

i agree with warrenp. youll spend more money on a set of headers and a new exhaust than the small gain in gas mileage would be worth. any good exhaust system will probably be $200-300 at least. the best you can do is keep it in good running condition by keeping up on its maintenance.

im just a young buck with no money. i dont push my rpms over 2300 i noticed about 4 more days of gas before i have to fill up. every one knows whats under the hood you dont got to prove nothin. just dont rev so high.( assuming you drive like i did when i got my first v8)

well your tranny is ok its already got over drive i agree with mr air just dont rev to high and keep it in overdrive.... i made that mistake i drove areound in 3rd for a tank and got like 205 miles on that tank it was really bad so just keep it in overdrive and get some headers and good exaust you should be good your not going to get better then 300 i never have been able to

i TRY to keep the rpm down while driving but theres so many stupid people around here i just cant help but doit atleast once a day. Im gettin a K&N next week since my stock filter is just totally clogged with leaves. Ive been gettin a steady 271 miles out of 20-21 gallons. Im hoping the filter will help alittle bit and once i have enough extra cash get headers and exhaust done.
    Last edited by DodgeChick; 02-27-2005 at 09:15 PM. Reason: language

thats actually really good for a 350 i would be happy with that i only get about 260 miles out of a tank i would be happy with that the new air filter and the headers will help but if you dont have the cash for the headers then dont worry about it thats good for a 350

i just took a road trip to florida and got a best of 19mpg outta it with the new K&N filter i bought. I added some weight on the way home and got about 16mpg, all in all im happy for now. Untill i have enough for a new exhaust system

I have a 98 silverado with the 350 and get about 320 a tank. When I fill up I average 20 gallons. I dont have 4x4. I do mostly hwy. Best I ever got was like 360 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by warrenp
    better flow will improve milage and a good air filter helps.
    if you keep you fuel filter clean too
    also change your oil regularly or a bit more often when the oil starts to get old& black the engine works harder. also transmission oil cgange /flush wouldn't hurt.
    """ change the transmission to a 700r4 it's got over drive. """

different wheel size, air dam.
    "" keep the tail gate down for less drag. ""

but really how much do you think it's going to cost to do all this?
    parts, time, labor all add's up
    you can buy alot of gas for all that.

lets face it you bought a truck. not only a truck, but one with a v8

v8's are not exactly known for good gas milage.
    #1.-Your Transmission HAS O.D. ,(that's what that "O.D." means on the indicator ).

#2. - I've read and seen on television, comparisons with the tailgate up and with it down. The overall results have all shown that your gain in M.P.G just doesn't justify driving with it down all the time, in fact 2 of them said that the only thing they noticed was the noise of the tailgate "jumping" when the testers would drive over something in the road. I thought you might like to see this. Hope it helps....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast