Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: clicking noise from ac compressor

well i got bored today and decided to turn it on and just look at it, i checked the freon level and it was low so i got a recharge kit with the guage on it and now its full, but before i added it it was low enough to actually be turning on and off, i know this because it was turning on and off and i noticed it would stop spinning then click and start spinning, but since recharging it today it stays on all the time now, unless i turn it off in the cab, but it got warmed up and i pushed the throttle from under the hood and noticed that when the rpms got high the compressor would cycle off then once the rpms started going back down it cycled on again, i dont know if that is part of or a result of a problem but before i put it in a shop to have them diagnose it i would like to do my best and figure it out myself and if it is the compressor i can replace that myself then take it to a shop to be vacuumed, leak tested and the filled back up with refrigerant, but any more ideas would be greatly appreciated.

also while watching the ac copmpressor while it was engaged i noticed it is spinning perfectly there is just a very small wobble while its spinning, kind of like its not balanced or sumthing, but just an observation,

It sounds like we have the same problem. I have '95 chevy with 5.7 L

I started thinking it was a belt tensioner / idler pulley problem.

It was suggested earlier in the thread as the cause.

They are the original parts as far as I know with 116,000 miles. I may try change these as it costs about $53 from Rockauto. Compressor work is last thing I want to do.

Edit: I cant find anything wrong with the belt tensioner or the pulleys. Next step checking the serpentine belt for correct length. (It was changed last Winter).
    Last edited by skooter; 07-13-2012 at 04:00 PM.

You did recharge it with the compressor running, right? What kind of pressures were you reading?

Sears installed the wrong belt (too long). I will find out when they change the belt if my A/C is running normally.

I had Sears put the correct belt on (95 inch vs the 96 inch they put on before) and now my ac compressor is working just fine.

Made my day.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12