Thread: 94 chevy 1500, Electrical problem.

94 chevy 1500, Electrical problem.

Hey guys, I have a 1994 chevy 1500 z71 5.7l, And I'm pretty sure I have a wiring issue, a bad ground or a short somewhere. When I turn on the truck, The battery meter will be at about 12-14volts. When I turn on my headlights, It will drop to about 10. Whenever I try to roll my windows down (power windows) It'll drop about 2-3volts the whole time. Having my AC on will also but the battery down to 9volts. Whenever I put it in gear, It drops to about 9-10. Whenever it drops really low, my radio will keep turning off/on and my windshield wipers will keep going. I thought it might have been the battery, So I bought a new one, And it still dose it. I had Autozone check my alternator and they said it was good. They checked The ground cable and positive cable coming from the battery and said they both were in good condition. So I'm completely lost, Could anyone try to help please?

I also have a 94 but its 2wd and have been haveing some slight electric issue too. I have a brand new battery put it alt seems good think I had it tested, mine is when I use my blinker my volt gauge will move with the blinks of the lights, I also here thumps through my subs if I hit brakes my subs will thump, if I have my headlights on its more prevalent. So it may be a ground not making good contact. I plan on redoing my grounds, I told you should have one from engine to body, body to frame. And it should be good ground straps or heavy gauge wire, the the shorter the ground the better too I have read.

My volt meter (before it started messing up this bad) Used to move slightly when i had my blinkers on too. like 1/2 a volt, didnt think much of it. Grounding straps were the next thing I was going to do, I'm just not sure where at on my motor I should put it?
    I know what you're talking about which the thumps in the subs, But that only happened to me when I would plug my Auxilarry cord into my phone.

Yea its a pain trying to figure it out, I had a wierd ground issue on a 94 camaro I had with my subs and amp, if I unplugged the rca jack they would thump on/off really fast, try to put a ground to batt and they would whine. And this truck does same thing if I run a ground from batt to amp, so I think its a ground issue. When I put my rebuilt motor in, we couldn't get the exhaust manifolds on and get bolts in so we used some all thread rod made them longer so they would flex and got them on, so I have stick like studs and have ground strap coming from that to body but I don't have a good body to frame. You might use the same ground spot the neg batt cable uses but run it to body then body to frame.

Where are the grounds at for this year truck? Do you know?

Yours is same as mine just 4wd, you should have a ecm harness ground on the thermostat housing, the battery ground for mine is behind the a/c compressor, should be a stud bolt for the intake. The ground strap I don't know should be on the side of the motor somewhere, if its not dirty it should be a silver flat weave strap.

My battery ground is the same as yours then. I check that, Tightened it up as tight as I could. Tomorrow I will look for a ground strap. I had my motor rebuilt a while ago so Idk if he put it on.

If you get this figured out let me know I will check mine and set it up like yours to see if it helps mine.

Will do! Thanks!.