Thread: 4 wheel drive problems in 2 wheel drive

4 wheel drive problems in 2 wheel drive

I own a 84 chevy. When driving down the road in 2the wheel drive a rapid clicking sound begins to come from the front axle. It sounds like a baseball card in a bike tire. If I slow down the truck "jumps or "jults" the clicking will stop and I can continue driving. It never happens if I leave the truck in 4 wheel drive. I almost think my automatic hubs are trying to engage in 2 wheel drive. Anyone thoughts??

In 2hi it should not matter if the hubs do engage. However might be a good idea to dismantle them and clean and lube them. Replace any damaged parts.

If it does not matter if the hubs engage could it be the transfer case trying to engage?? Why would the clicking come from the axle area?

Yes it could well be the auto hubs clicking so it would be good to have a look at them. However, even if they did engage when in 2hi all that would happen is that the axle shafts, differential and the front driveshaft would start turning but would not be connected to the rear wheels. It would be no different from 4x4 trucks with no free-wheel hubs. I would check the hubs first and have a look at the axle shaft universal joints.

Ok so I pulled out the hubs, cleaned them regreased them and put them back in. There was no signs of damage or metal chavings. Took the truck out for a spin and same thing... about I mile down the road it something clicked and the same clicking sound. I think I pull some manul hubs out of a buddys truck just to see if that changs anything.

Being a 84 don't you have a lever in the floor to put it into 4 wheel drive? Might see if that needs adjustment or its bent trying to slightly engage 4 wheel drive. Maybe u joints up front binding?

Good that you checked the hubs. I would check what dirtrider says in case your transfer case is not fully into 2hi.

84 chevy

Quote Originally Posted by ElmerJ View Post
    I own a 84 chevy. When driving down the road in 2the wheel drive a rapid clicking sound begins to come from the front axle. It sounds like a baseball card in a bike tire. If I slow down the truck "jumps or "jults" the clicking will stop and I can continue driving. It never happens if I leave the truck in 4 wheel drive. I almost think my automatic hubs are trying to engage in 2 wheel drive. Anyone thoughts??
    had the same problem with a 84 s-10, just had to unhook vacuum line to the front hubs when in 2wd