Thread: 1992 C1500 Silverado Dash Exchange

1992 C1500 Silverado Dash Exchange

Hello, I have recently purchased a 1992 C1500 Ex Cab Stepside truck with Silverado trim that I am trying to polish up a bit. The original dashboard is cracked badly and I wish to replace it but am not fond of the dashboard used in the 88-94 trucks since they always seem to crack right at the defroster vent. I think its a design problem. It appears that there were two other dash styles offered for the 4th generation trucks, years 95-96 and 97-98...will either of these bolt up to my firewall without having to change out the steering column? I would also like to keep the instrument cluster as original if thats possible but dont have a problem with rewiring anything else that needs it. I already have the interior of a 97 avaiable to me so I would like to find one of that year.

On another note, where all Ex Cabs of the third door type after 96? I have the drivers side rear trim and it looks like it will fit but the truck that was parted out for me had the third door so I am wondering if I will be able to find matching passenger side rear trim for the area around the back side window?

Thanks for any advice!

Blog Entries
    Can change .. but will have to change door panels also. To match up with dash.

88-98 had the same body style and bolt patterns on some stuff, in 96 they went to the vortec motors, so some of that stuff isn't the same, I suppose you could put a 96-98 dash into a 92, unless you found a good 88-95 that was in good shape and swapped it out if you found the same color, other wise would have to change console if you have it and door panels to same color, and depending on fabric color as well if you wanted it all to look the same. There is dash covers and replacement dashes that are color matched but can be pretty high.
    1994 white ext cab chevy silverado 5.7 rolling 230k miles
    stock with air filter lid flipped,
    open flowing exhaust to a 40 series flowmaster dumped.
    God Bless America, Support our Troops!

The same type dash that I have isnt really what i want, its too boxy and i think they are engineered poorly. i did stop and look at a 95-96 dash in a parts truck yesterday and it looks like i would have to swap the steering column too. It was recommneded to me that I find a wiring harness from a 95 since that year had the new dash and still had the pre-vortec TBI engine like mine. I gave up worrying about matching the colors, I have a buddy that has used the ColorBond treatment and has great results. Most everything is light blue, light grey, or tan so i may CB everything black and then take it back to tan so its uniform. i have already purchased the newer style doors from a 97 so i think i have just about evrything for the interior other than the dash / steering column and the trim around the rear windows. while it looks like the dash may bolt up, i am still trying to research just how much of a pain the interconnections will be.

LMC has some reasonably priced covers for your dash , pretty much glue and stick and they have the UV coating as well

Catalog Search

yeah LMC has been a great reference. i am i little disappointed with the bumper bolts that i just bought from them...i was hoping to get the ones like the factory that have a tapered shoulder so that they start easier...these were just regular old cad bolts that i could have gotten anywhere.

i'm not really interested in dashpad though...i have one now and dont like it. on a side note, i was advised to ONLY use the instrument cluster from a 95 since that was the last year using OBD1 and the newer OBD2 driven clusters arent compatable. so now i am down to looking for a 95-96 dash with compatable steeering column, 95 instrument cluster and engine wiring harness, and i may end up modifying the current harness for the convenience items lik epower windows, locks, mirrors, and seats. i am also looking into an overhead console with the climate controls mounted in it.

What I did on my 93 I bought a dash mat it's a carpet that fits perfect plus it came out perfect because the front speakers I bought the tweeters stick up above speaker grills so I just left grills off and one can't tell with dash mat.
    http://i961.photobucket.com/albums/ae98/falken86/dadnew-1.jpg

awright another Houstonian! I dont want to do a dash cover, as I have said, i want the newer style 4th gen dash. From some other research I have done, it appears that a 95-96 dash with a 95 instrument cluster may be the easiest way to go since the 95 still had OBD1 and TBI engine so it should mate up with my current engine harness (i am told! i have a 92 shop manual and a 95 is now on the way). Swapping the steering column appears to require removing the old bracket and installing a newer one from a 95-96 donor truck. i am not set up to weld so i am looking into adapting my steering column to the newer dash. I 'am told' that it will fit but will have an inch wide gap above the shroud since the newer column sticks out further. I can live with covering that somehow. The change in heater controls is apparently a problem to so I may keep the stupid older digital controller unless I find a relaible resource for adapting the wiring to the newer model three dial controller. I would really like to adapt the newer one so that I could perhaps move it to an overhead console ala the suburbans.

95-96 dash

I was going to do this to my old 92 years ago and purchased the dash door panels and cluster from either a 95 or 96... It can be done but does require some work, I ended up not doing the swap so if you need a dash let me know. I'm also in Houston