Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 4 Wheel Drive not Engaging

Angry 4 Wheel Drive not Engaging

I have the new body style 2000 Chevy Z-71 and I noticed the 4 wheel drive not engaging so I investigated and noticed that the actuator was not working. So I replaced it with a new one from O'Reillys and checked the new one before I screwed it in and it was working. But, still no 4 wheel drive. When you push the button on the bezel you can hear the transfer case kicking in but the front wheels will not pull. Any Ideas??
    Thanks
    Bigdaddy

The easiest thing is to lift all 4 wheels off the ground and turn the front drive shaft by hand with the key on engine off and trans in neutral.That way you can determine if its the tcase or front axle not engaging.
    Sent using Boost mobile 4g htc evo.

you may hear a noise ...but always confirm it is happening!
    4 wheels move the body
    2 wheels move the soul
    B.W.A.I
    Snow is a lot like religion and a lot like sex....you never know when you are going to get it!....or how much you will get

Ok. I finally had a chance to check the truck, so I jacked all four wheels off the ground and put the truck in 4 wheel drive and put it in gear and you can hear the accuator engage but the drive shaft doesnt turn while the rear one does.. Is there some sort of motor or sensor that engages the transfer case since it is electric transfer case?? how do you check the motor or sensors??

Blog Entries
    Left you some great info in ford forum ... should be able to diagnose with it ... Good info.

OK I did that and with the truck in 4 wheel drive and the engine running the front wheel do not turn and the front driveshaft does not turn either.. So now what can I test on the transfer case to see if its a sensor or something on it not kicking in??

Blog Entries
    Chevrolet Suburban K1500 4x4 I have a 1996 Chevy suburban - JustAnswer just click on red.

Did you check this out ..you have a switch on top of transfer, that engages the actuator.

Gitter done have fun. Running on empty...running blind...running behind.....
    IF I CAN GET YOU TO SMILE BEFORE I LEAVE.

Are you talking about the accuator on the axle tube?? If so I know its working and engaging because I also replaced it.. Or talking about the transfer case??

Blog Entries
    Ask a few... You know front actuator is working?
    if actuator is working ..for sure then something in front end not letting axles engage.
    Take actuator off get a screwdriver ect. push plunger see if wheels turn.. by turning drive shaft.. wheels jack up.
    While you have it jacked up put in 4 wheel see if shaft turns.. if not switch on trans fer bad located on top.
    Or fuse ..bad wire.

If you go by link i left should be able to trouble shoot it ..a great thread.

Gitter done have fun. Running on empty...running blind...running behind.....
    IF I CAN GET YOU TO SMILE BEFORE I LEAVE.

I really appreciate the info and I read the link that you left and it was for a 1996 and I didnt know if it was the same since it is a different year model and different body style?? The wheel turn when you turn the drive shaft by hand with the four wheel drive button in four high or low but the wheels or driveshaft will not turn by the transfer case power or engine power..I ask this, will the transfer case still switch from 2high to 4high and 4 low if its the switch your talking about is bad?? because it switches from 2high to 4high and low on the back wheel just the front wheel dont turn.. Does the switch your talking about just activate the front driveshaft or what??

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast