Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2000 Silverado: trouble starting

2000 Silverado: trouble starting

Hello everyone, I'm having a little issue with my truck sometimes not starting right away. I got it down to when it does it maybe someone can point me to the right direction. If I start it in the morning or if it's been sitting for more the 6-8 hours, it starts up perfect. The problem happens after I use my truck and let it sit for about 15 minutes, after that it takes about 2-3 seconds of cranking to start up and I have to give it a little gas for a couple of seconds so it won't turn off. It only does it at thoughs times and my truck runs perfect after it gets started, no missing or bogging. So far I tried spark plug, fuel filter, even a new fuel pump (Delphi brand). I took it to a mechanic and he told me my fuel pressure is a little low but just a little bit. It does the same thing as with the old pump so I don't think that's the problem. The fuel pump even sounds strong when it startss pumping. I hope someone can give me some advise on here. If it helps it has a 4.8L V8.

Blog Entries
    What i would do ...check fuel pressure when it has set over night. Just with key on.
    Then check it after warmed to running temp or a good drive.
    Should read at least 58 psi and hold this. Are you getting a service light?
    Check this ... let us know.

Blog Entries
    What i would suspect if it has lower psi when warm would be the fuel pressure regulator. Pull vacuum line off fpr see if any fuel present when truck is warmed up.
    Other thing might be a slow leaking injector. Sometimes a dirty maf sensor will cause this.
    Can clean maf sensor and see if it helps. Just spray good with cleaner can get at auto parts.
    Let dry put back. Disconnect battery first. Do not touch the filaments on maf real fragile.

I have no service engine light on.... Tomorrow I'll try looking at the fuel pressure regulator and maf. I had a Honda once with a bad fuel pressure reg and did the same thing. I'll check out and let you know. Thanx!

Blog Entries
    One more thought .. seems if it was fuel pump would be hard to start .. when it set over night.
    What leans me toward fpr.

Looking through google for prices on a FPR I stumbled on this article it seem like the same symtoms as my truck. I'll have to check out the FPR in the morning.

Salted Wound Blog Archive Changing a Fuel Pressure Regulator on hard starting 2000 Chevy Silverado Yourself

when you took it to the mechanic...did he put a scanner on it?....if so what was the readings for the temp sensors?....if not start there
    4 wheels move the body
    2 wheels move the soul
    B.W.A.I
    Snow is a lot like religion and a lot like sex....you never know when you are going to get it!....or how much you will get

He didn't say if he put the scanner on but my brother plugged his MAC scanner in once and everything seem to be normal. As far as the temp I don't remember but if it's not the FPR I'll have him plug it in again.

Good news!! It was the fuel pressure regulator. Fuel was leaking from the vaccum hose so I just went out and bought a new one and my truck starts up perfect every time now. Thanx everyone for your advise. Especially chevychase.

Blog Entries
    Only things that will cause your symptoms.... fpr or leaking injector.
    Fpr easiest fix. Glad you have it fixed. Gitter done .. and have fun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast