Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Won't start all the sudden.

Won't start all the sudden.

Ok....I tried to start my truck this morning and it wouldn't start. The starter is functioning fine, it's getting fuel.....so I guess that leaves spark. It did this yesterday morning on my way to Thankgiving. The only difference is that after a bunch of attempts, she finally turned over. The ride both to and from was fine. I just don't know where to go next. I'm really getting frustrated here with this truck and up until now....all problems have been fixed due to help from you guys. I need your help once again.

Since I'm only left with spark issues....what's the best way to determine if I am getting spark? The dizzy is practically new and the ignition module is less than a month old.

Ok...fuel pressure is good. I see the fuel pressure gauge registering between 0-7 psi as it's trying to start....so I have fuel. I pulled the #1 plug and it isn't fouled....so I am assuming the rest are good. I just don't know how to test the ignition side of it. What is the best way to tell she is getting spark?

One way is to pull any spark plug, plug the spark plug wire back on to it, rest the plug on a valve cover where you can see it and crank the engine over on the starter. You should see a good blue spark at the plug.

Thanks for the tip. I am going to try that.

I tried that....and I'm getting spark. I plugged back in the spark plug and tried it and it started right up. I just don't know what was causing it. It has me a little nervous to drive it anywhere since it mysteriously decided to start. Before I tried the test you told me about, I rolled the truck back in neutral a few feet to allow for the sun to provide more light. Given that it was cold, and the sun surely heated it up....what would that have done? I'm scratching my head here and am stumped as to why it all the sudden decided to start.

Had you not said the ignition module was new I would have said that it could be bad, I think I would check all the electrical connections to the ign components (dist., coil, ign module). Look for any loose/dirty plugs/connections.

Good thought. That definitely would have been a possible cause. I can't think of anything else it could have been. I just hope that whatever loose connection it was, it is tight now. I have checked them all and they all are clean and seem to be tight. Namely the harness connection on the distributor.

if it happens again when it`s very cold, rig up a hairdryer and warm the ignition module and see if it starts then. If it does, then the module is most likely bad. Also maybe a quick check under the dist cap for any condensation.

Thanks. Definitely will try that. I hate to think that the ignition module is bad already. Is there something that would cause them to go bad that I may need to be on the lookout for?

Btw....I know heat is a cause for them to go bad early....but I would like to add....I used a good coating of that white grease that came with the module when I installed it. The module I used is supposedly a "high performance" module that is good up up to 7500 rpm.

When I initially thought the module was bad, I got the original tested finally and it tested good. I kept the new one in there just the same. I'm not sure how reliable those tests are at the autoparts store.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast