Thread: 1978 Chevy Camper Special 4x4

1978 Chevy Camper Special 4x4

When I got this truck is was in the process of being converted into a desert racer. The dash board has been completely removed leaving only a mess of wires. Here is my question, I have bypassed the key ignition by running new wires to the solenoid and installing a on off switch and a push button starter switch. The engine turns over but I am not getting a spark. Is there another wire that possibly goes to the distributor that I am missing or an internal switch that needs to be closed to send spark to the plugs? Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thank You

I have installed a similar push button start in my 84 camper special. I know there is a neutral safety switch connection that is located under the dash that must be connected in order for it to start. This is what I used for my "on/off" switch. I'm not sure if its the same color wires as yours but it might be. Mine are yellow and purple (LSU colors). They need to be wired together in order to bypass this system and allow it to start.

Just to be sure here....but you are turning your key to the "on" position before you hit your start button....right?

Thank you, that will give me something to look for. There is no key ignition but there is a rectangle metal stud that I can twist with pliers.

buy a cheap toggle switch and replace the stud you are twisting....see if it helps....if it was the neutral safety it would not turn over!
    4 wheels move the body
    2 wheels move the soul
    B.W.A.I
    Snow is a lot like religion and a lot like sex....you never know when you are going to get it!....or how much you will get

Actually, with the switch hooked right up to the starter like he has it, it will turn over even if the neutral safety switch was not active. The way he has it set up, you hit the toggle switch and the starter will fire....however without the ignition on....it won't start....it will just try to start.

Good luck with it. Sounds like you have some wiring to research to get it started....but you are on the right track.

What gauge wires did you run to your starter? If they are too small, you might have too much of a voltage drop.

The wires running from the switch to the starter are 10g. I have pulled off the steering wheel and removed the ignition. There is a steel rod that runs down the steering column and 90degs up into a switch, when the key is turned this steel rod moves the switch. There is another switch at the end of the steering column that moves with the automatic stick shift. I have moved each switch into diff positions with no avail.
    Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by Carson Rodgers View Post
    The wires running from the switch to the starter are 10g. I have pulled off the steering wheel and removed the ignition. There is a steel rod that runs down the steering column and 90degs up into a switch, when the key is turned this steel rod moves the switch. There is another switch at the end of the steering column that moves with the automatic stick shift. I have moved each switch into diff positions with no avail.
    Thanks for the help.
    I got it to start!!! When I abandon the existing wiring I failed to reconnect the power feed to the distribute.

Thanks again...