Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2000 Chevy K2500 w/5.7L 350 need to set timing , not running

2000 Chevy K2500 w/5.7L 350 need to set timing , not running

2000 chevy K2500 with a 5.7L 350 motor the dist. was pulled and a diffrent one put in now of course it won't start timing is off how do i set it ? i was told i needed a computer to hook up to it but since it won't start at all i don't think thats going to work , so anybody know what i need to do to it to get the timing set or at least close enough to get it to start ? any help will be great ,Thanks

You may have to pull #1 spark plug out. Get the #1 piston to top dead center, look down the distributor hole, align the oil pumpump shaft to where it needs to be, slide distributor in, assuming its good. Re connect everything. firing order is still the same as older models I assume, 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2. At least thats how I do older v-8's

Ditto on that. You might have to bump the starter to get the number one cylinder to top dead center. If you don't have a timing tab on the truck, just do it until you can stick a small screwdriver into the spark plug hole of the number one cylinder and be able to feel the top of the piston. Thats usually how I do it.

Just to clarify what these guys have said, No1 piston needs to be at TDC on the compression stroke, otherwise you will be 180 degrees out.

Blog Entries
    Do as the above to get close....but has to be timed with a scan tool ,or garage that has a scan tool that you can set timing with.
    Be best let garage do it unless you need a scan tool, or know how to set.
    Kinda complicated ...hold rpm,s at 1200 set tool to timing..set timing at 2 degree before or after tdc..
    Tighten all recheck.

Gitter done have fun. Running on empty...running blind...running behind.....
    IF I CAN GET YOU TO SMILE BEFORE I LEAVE.

Not a problem with the scan tool but what do i need to do ? should i just pull the #1 plug and leave the dist. in or should i pull it back out and go from there ? i know how to do it the old way which is what you guys have said ( pulling #1 and have the rotor turn to that plug by pulling dist. and turning it ) but i don't know if its any different on these newer rigs or not ? this is what happens when somebody else plays with your rigs and they don't know what there doing ! next time i'll make sure to do it myself ! and thanks guys for all the help !

Blog Entries
    Yes can get to #1 as older ones.. On the scan tool you have one that you can set timing with?

my son does , so then just leave the dist. in and pull #1 plug piston on top at compression stroke then just pull and turn the dist. to where it needs to be ? that should get it started then he can plug his scan tool in and that should tell us from there right ?

Blog Entries
    Rotor button should be pointing at #1 plug wire. To set with scan tool..set scan to cam retard offset.
    Have to start ..hold rpms at above 1000..anything below will not get accurate reading .
    Should be 2 degree before or after tdc. If not rotate dist counter clock wise for neg. clock wise for positive reading.
    Then tighten dist. check at 1100 rpm,s see if it is right.

Ok i know this is a dumb question but my mind has gone 100% blank ! is the #1 plug on the driverside ( closes to the front of the truck) or is it the pass. side ? if i rember right its the driverside but i really want to make sure ! thanks guys

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast