Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to set timing on 88 5.7 TBI

How to set timing on 88 5.7 TBI

I have my rebuilt 5.7 ready to go, and I am replacing my old worn out one this weekend. I am a little concerned about setting the timing when I get the engine in the truck. I am wondering if somebody can walk me through the process. I have done this several times with and HEI but have never done one with a TBI/ECM. I know how to place the distributor back in and set the timing with a light, but I am wondering about which wire to unplug. Do I unplug the wire before starting the truck the first time and then set the timing to 0 with the timing light, shut off engine and then reconnect the wire etc.? What rpm should the truck be running at when I set the timing?

I did find the following thread....... Have to disconnect timing by pass to set timing .. will be in the black box
    At passenger side cowl/firewall ..will be labeled fuel pump relay.. fuse.. junction..block will be a tan wire with black stripe ..with a disconnect coupling.

Thanks

the process is the same be sure both valve's on number one are seated and piston is completely at tdc other then that its not any different if u dont you will put 180 out everytime it best to have some one hold down distribator spelling sucks and with key bump engine over it should fall in on first try

not a newbie but iam here just suck at saying the right stuff and never heard of a timing by pass i have an 89 thats been swapped with a crate 350 and all we was swap set and drove after rebuilding the rear end with new gears

Blog Entries
    Like rtdeford said same way ..but get truck to running temp ..shut off then disconnect timing wire.

Gitter done have fun. Running on empty...running blind...running behind.....

I prefer these engines at 4-6 degrees advanced.. zero is just kinda gutless..
    85 K2500, 94 K2500 LD, 04 2500 HD

Blog Entries
    Theses days unless your going to run high test with some octane boost ..truck will ping/detonate.
    All mine running regular have to retard 4 to 6.

to mr chevychase: or anyone else what year did they stop using that i just swap a 93 chevy 4.3 with a 5.7 i have read every where that all is needed is to flash eprom and then reprogram with 5.7 and it would be good with the new motor. i have done every possiable thing i can think of to make this motor run i also read that if the vin had the same style ecu put in it that u can use that chip and it would work but nothing i get a rough running then a some what of a idol on its own then it dies and while that is all happening it smoke the motor never did that and worse to tell the ecu i had for the motor when it was pulled from donor truck left with donor truck would it be feasable to pay the 300 $ for a ecu from a rebuilder with some knowledge that says that the know what i need and i was also told that i cam use any ecu that has a 161 number on a ecu for a org 5.7 and that would work but i not under standing only why that is mr chevychase can give me an answer to that

Blog Entries
    Hey rtdeford..are you asking what year did timing disconnect was deleted ? If so in 96.
    So your saying you have a ecu for a 4.3 in your truck..and you have a 5.7?
    Let me ask you this what year is your truck..and does it have the original trans?
    What color is the smoke?

Well, got the engine in this weekend. I set the 1 at TDC, put the distro in at #1 and the thing started right up. It was alot easier than my old HEI/Carb! I also remember having points on my old Nova, which I remeber setting with a dwell meter. Anyways, warmed it up, did as you guys suggested and set the timing after unhooking the timing by pass, worked like a charm.

Thanks for the help! The worse part of the pain in the neck oil cooler.

Blog Entries
    Well alright i new you had it in you ...your a regular ole mechanic.Mr sodell

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast