Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changed Shocks & Now Front End Uneven?

Changed Shocks & Now Front End Uneven?

I just changed all 4 shocks to Rancho because the originals were leaking etc. Now the driver side sits an inch higher than the passender side in the front. You can visibly tell by looking at the wheel wells that the driver side is higher. When I put the new front shocks on I did have to raise the control arms a little so that the bolt holes lined up with the new shocks...but if i completely completed extended out the new shocks when i put them on, then both sides "shouldve" been evenly aligned. I'm wondering if it's possible I didnt fully extended out the passender side shock? Has this happened to anyone before? Any ideas / suggestions would be a huge help. 1st time i ever replaced shocks. Thanks all

Blog Entries
    What truck are we talking about? Over the years things get worn/weak. Take a look at sway bar bushings.
    Might tweak the torsion bars a little .If it is a 4x4. Might be the back springs making it lean weak .
    That is my take on it ..maybe others will chime in.

Gitter done have fun. Running on empty...running blind...running behind.....

Quote Originally Posted by chevychase View Post
    What truck are we talking about? Over the years things get worn/weak. Take a look at sway bar bushings.
    Might tweak the torsion bars a little .If it is a 4x4. Might be the back springs making it lean weak .
    That is my take on it ..maybe others will chime in.
    Chevy Silverado 1500 4wd. Before I changed the shocks the front end was totally even though. That's why I can't figure out why the driver side is now an inch higher after I put new shocks on. The only reason I changed the shocks is because the original's were starting to leak.

Have you driven the truck ? Perhaps when you messed with the control arm something didn't resituate properly . I wouldn't think the shock itself determines ride height . Is it possible you have mismatched shocks or a bad one ?
    1979 K-10, 355 , homebrew cold air ,blueprinted HEI ,Edelbrock 1904 795 CFM,4:11 12 bolt corporate positraction rear,10 bolt 4:11 corporate front, 350 turbo np 203 transfer case .

Shock doesn't deal with ride height, it dampens the ride hence shock, springs, tires, lift deal with ride height.
    1994 white ext cab chevy silverado 5.7 rolling 230k miles
    stock with air filter lid flipped,
    open flowing exhaust to a 40 series flowmaster dumped.
    God Bless America, Support our Troops!

ive run into same thing with ranchos the one shock i had was actually too short on the short side do you have down travel? like its bottoming out on the shock
    ,'';=====-
    !

If it was fine before, then it has to be the shock itself not upholding its pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleBigBad1968 View Post
    If it was fine before, then it has to be the shock itself not upholding its pressure.
    Thanks guys for all the input. At this point I'm pretty sure It's a defective shock. I'm going to have Advance Auto order me a new one and I'll see what happens after I get it put on.

Shocks do not determine ride height. You can't change shocks and get a suspension lift, so to speak. Like it has been said....they simply cushion the suspension travel as it rides down the road. I have Rancho RS5000 shocks all around on my 84 C20 and have had great luck with them.

Having said that.....is it possible that you have an incorrect or mismatched shock on the front that is bottoming out and not allowing the suspension to sit in a static position?

Quote Originally Posted by Boudin View Post
    Shocks do not determine ride height. You can't change shocks and get a suspension lift, so to speak. Like it has been said....they simply cushion the suspension travel as it rides down the road. I have Rancho RS5000 shocks all around on my 84 C20 and have had great luck with them.

Having said that.....is it possible that you have an incorrect or mismatched shock on the front that is bottoming out and not allowing the suspension to sit in a static position?

Well I changed the passenger side shock & same issue...wheel well sits an inch lower to the tire than the driver side. So shocks arent the issue. Is there anyway I thru the torsion bar settings out of wack when ******* the truck up etc? Should I just adjust the passenger side torsion bar an inch up? What other factors could cause this? I'm wondering if I should just take it into a shop and have them put it on a machine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast