Thread: 2000 Z71 Lift and tires?

2000 Z71 Lift and tires?

I bought a 2000 Chevy Silverado Z71 (My first truck) and i want to lift it. i was wondering wat the best tires are, i want mud tires for sure, but i want ones that will last the longest. i hear good things about Toyo Open Country Tires but idk i havn't had experience with them. i have BF Goodrich tires now but its not lifted or anything its stock. So i want to know wat ya'll think is the best tires? Also i want to know how big of tires i can have with a Rough Country 3" suspension lift? if anybody has pics that'd be nice to see what it looks like also. I'd like to put 33's or prefferably 35's but idk how big i can with that size lift, but i'll put those on Moto Metal 17" rims. I'm new to the truck game so i need some help please.

Thanks,
    Blake

Rim diameter doesn't matter. Only overall diameter matters. Honestly, you can easily fit 33" tires under there now, but any larger is going to require a lift of some type. I would guess with a 3" suspension lift, you could probably fit 35" tires under there as a max.

As far as the "best" ones....it depends on who you ask and what you want to get from them. Do you want mud performance over longevity? Snow? How stiff of a ride? Load rating? A lot of factors to choose from here. There is not a tire that is going to be tops in all categories. You are going to have to choose a brand based on what you want them primarily for. If I remember correctly, tirerack.com has a pretty good detail section on the different brands of tires as well as customer feedback. Definitely look there when deciding on what model you want.

Ok thankyou thats what I wanted to know, for tires i want a good looking mud tire that I can take off road and on the highway that will last quite a long time.

Well....that's going to be a tough one. Generally, you want a hard radial to get highway longevity. A good mud tire is softer and has a very aggressive tread. Unfortunately....the highway eats it up. A good compromise between mud and highway longevity is an all terrain tire. It doesn't have as much as a "humm" that a mud tire does and will last a long time. Plus, for extra traction off road....you can always just let the air in your tires out to about half of what they call for to get extra off road traction.

ok well wats the best Mud tire in ya'lls opinion? i want a high ply rating, wat do u guys think of Dick Cepek or Toyo Open Country tires? i guess im gonna lift it 3" with 35's

To be honest....I'm partial to BF Goodrich myself. I heard this to be true and maybe someone can confirm it for me, but I was told that out of the about 30 brands of tires in the world....there are only about three manufacturers. Meaning you might have about 10 brands for example that are all made by the same people with some of the "brands" being all made in the same plant.

I get the feeling that you are particular about how they "look". Nothing to be ashamed about....I'm that way too. Some people like white letters on the outside and some people like black walls. On the mud tires, I know there are a lot of looks to choose from going beyond white letters. Things like the tread and if it has a tread pattern on the sidewall or not, etc. Honestly, this is going to be your personal preference. Any of the mud tires that are out there (like the brands you mentioned) are going to perform well off road. Like I mentioned earlier, tirerack.com has very detailed descriptions of just about every tire out there and if I remember correctly....rates each one in a series of categories like traction, longevity, snow, rain, etc and rates them on a scale of like 1 to 5. This is going to be your best bet here to be an informed shopper. No one here can really tell you anything except their opinion and I highly doubt than there is anyone here that has had experiences with every single tire available....so their opinion might be biased. Plus, what looks good to you may not look good to them. There might be some people on here that have owned/worked in a tire store that may have some good information....but no one has spoken up yet. As you may have already seen, the prices can vary greatly from brand to brand....so that's a consideration on you can decide.

Check out that site and I believe it will be your best option here.

I don't know if you are planning to order them online and have them installed or if you are looking to buy locally....but call around for price quotes (but do your research before hand). You want to be able to ask something like "I need tires for my truck. I'm interested in blank and blank sized ###/##R1#. How much mounted, balanced and out the door?". One thing to ask is if they have free lifetime rotation and balance. Can be a real help to make sure they last the longest they can.

You will still need to do some trimming to put 35s under it, even with a 3 inch lift. As for tires I run BFG Mud terrain.
    Window tint its for window, Not for tail lights. Don't be that guy .

just remember to get a z71 lift because if you get a 3 inch non-z71 equipt kit it will only raise you 1.5-2 inches because your already an inch higher then stock

Alright sounds good, ill prob get thoses open country tires and the rough country kit