Thread: Shift linkage broken

Shift linkage broken

On an 02 Chevy Trail Blazer V6, dont know the transmission.

My wife started to go out with the car & it shifted to neutral & wouldn't go any further. She put it in park. Then she couldn't get the shifter "button" to release the shifter. She worked with it for a minute & I came over to look at it. I thought the button was broken some how. Then I realized that the transmission was in neutral but the shifter was in park. I crawled under the car & found the linkage cable (or rod) linkage had come off of the shifter thing on the side of the transmission. I moved the thing on the side of the transmission forward to park, put the linkage "eye" back on the shifter thing on the side of the transmission, got back in the car, cranked it & it shifted perfect...... well for a couple of times then the linkage came off the shifter thing on the side of the transmission again. I crawled back under there & put it back on but its not fitting on correctly & its not staying on.

How exactly is the linkage supposed to attach to the shifter thing on the side of the transmission & what do yall think I will have to buy to repair this?

Any question.. just ask. I'll try to clarify.

By the way what do you call the shifter thing on the side of the transmission so I wont keep calling it that.
    Is the linkage a cable or a rod? It has a little rubber boot near the end of it with an "eye" sticking out. I'm not sure if it should have some sort of grumett in that eye or just how its supposed to attach to that thing ....

Thanks again..
    TC

Blog Entries
    Think it is a cable ...might be frayed inside sheath putting in a bind . If you find no info will try tomorrow for you .
    Seems i have a diagram for it ..

Gitter done have fun. Running on empty...running blind...running behind.....
    IF I CAN GET YOU TO SMILE BEFORE I LEAVE.

its not the cable being frayed or anything. the plastic eye is broken. you can either replace the cable that cost 200+ labor or get yourself one of these for 20 bucks and fix the problem forever basically. 92-09 Chevrolet Trailblazer Shifter Cable Repair Pin [SRK-112] - $19.95 : ATFSPEED - Automatic Transmission Factory, 866-916-1155 thats the exact one you need. you have a 4l60e btw

ive used them before when doing tranny swaps into trucks that didnt come with efi powerplants.

Thanks guys. I need to get that fixed this weekend so I will check around at some of the auto parts stores to see if they have this or something like it. If not, I'll just have to order it off line somewhere.

I appreciate your help. Rep for you 87c10.

TC

I'm gonna go ahead & ask this in case I need the info later today.

I have a little metal working shop in my back yard of which I piddle in. I was going to get a pin that would fit thru the linkage & the shift lever (on side of the transmission) pretty snug & weld a washer on one end of it, drill a hole for a cotter pin in the other end to hold the linkage on.

When I got under the car, the problem I seen was that the OEM pin that goes thru the shift lever was "fixed" permanently in the lever...??? I cant get that out to put a new pin thru..?? Now that's a question as well as a statement. I cant... can I?
    From there, I attempted to take the shift lever off the transmission. Its held on by a threaded stud with a nut on it. I took the nut off but the lever wouldn't budge. I didnt beat on it because (other than that) I don't know how its connected. Is it threaded too or do I just tap it off or???

In short, three questions:
    If I cant get the OEM pin out of the shift lever is the part listed above by 87c10 still applicable? How does it fit without getting the OEM pin out?

Does the OEM pin really come out of the shift lever? If so how? Any tricks?

Does the shift lever come off? If so how? Any tricks?

Quote Originally Posted by dixie2009 View Post
    Does the shift lever come off? If so how? Any tricks?
    As it turns out, This is the only question above I still need answered.

However, after some lengthy investigations, I have found that all I need it a little neoprene/plastic bushing. The problem is, no one makes it. This bushing is made into the shift linkage "eye" & is only available with the entire linkage assembly. Then, the bushing (which is already in the linkage) slides onto the pin that is attached to the shift lever (on the side of the transmission).

There are no cotter pins, screws or anything else to hold this bushing in. It "snaps" in place, both in the eye of the linkage & on to the pin on the shift lever.
    Extremely simple procedure & no tools are required except maybe a pair of channel locks to snap the bushing in place. Again, the problem is, no one makes this bushing. Its not available anywhere. I went to Auto Zone, O'Rileys, Napa & a local transmission shop.

The auto parts places all had generic bushings on the shelves out front (for $6) but none of them would work for my application.
    The transmission shop (which is the oldest tranny shop in the twin cities) said they usually make one when the occasion arise's but you need to use some J B Weld to glue it to the pin on the shift lever pin, then drill a hole or something in the other end & use a cotter pin to keep the linkage on the bushing.

The only other alternative is to buy the entire shifting linkage which is between $60 - $140. If you need someone to install it, that's another $200 or so.

Blog Entries
    Others that had the problem at other forums went to the help aisle at auto parts ..found the right one at advance.
    Here is a diagram of whole mess .. Chevrolet Trailblazer: 2004 Chevy Trailblazer...key was turned - JustAnswer

Gitter done have fun. Running on empty...running blind...running behind.....
    IF I CAN GET YOU TO SMILE BEFORE I LEAVE.

i would search for the bushing at the local home depot in the hardware section.

as far as the lever goes.. yes it comes off. you have to wiggle it around a bit. sometimes ive had to tap the lever with a hammer.. not hard.. just a tap or 2 to knock all the corrosion off it and it usually pops right off.. see above diagram to make sure you took off the right bolt. if all else fails try to find a cable assembly at the junkyard and get what you need.

Quote Originally Posted by chevychase View Post
    Others that had the problem at other forums went to the help aisle at auto parts ..found the right one at advance.
    Here is a diagram of whole mess .. Chevrolet Trailblazer: 2004 Chevy Trailblazer...key was turned - JustAnswer
    I checked Advance Auto Parts after you posted & they had the same little package of generic bushings as the other parts places, including... O'Rileys, Auto Zone & Napa.
    Thanks for the tip though.

Now for the final report. Took it to our mechanic & the only cure is to buy the whole shifting linkage from the shifter inside to the tranny. The part was $75 & labor was $150 @ $60 per hour @ 2 1/2 hrs from the book. Repaired with tax etc ... $244...

For a $1 plastic bushing.

Yup shop rates and labor is what will kill you in vehicle repairs, plus some have upwards of 20% mark up on parts.
    1994 white ext cab chevy silverado 5.7 rolling 230k miles
    stock with air filter lid flipped,
    open flowing exhaust to a 40 series flowmaster dumped.
    God Bless America, Support our Troops!