Thread: Converting Ignition fro key switch to toggle and push button switch

Converting Ignition fro key switch to toggle and push button switch

Looking to convert my 1990 Chevy 1/2 ton WT 4x4 to run off of toggle switches for accessories and ignition with a push button for start similar to prerunner trucks. Has anyone done this? Any advice and pictures, instructions would be helpfull. Truck is mainly just used to plow my drive in the winter and haul scrap to the scrap yard infrequently.
    Thanks,
    Bill

Blog Entries
    Push button start would be simple..just run a fused 12 gauge wire from power to starter. here is one way to do it. hei is the coil the small wire at starter s- terminal...if your switch works ..just turn to on ..will not have to use the wire from toggle to coil. As far as accessories go would have to get in the column find the wires ..tie a toggle switch in..may take more than one...power to one side of toggle to accessory wire .

Gitter done have fun. Running on empty...running blind...running behind.....

Blog Entries
    ON THIS SET UP YOU HAVE A THREE PRONG ROCKER SWITCH TO TIE ACC..AND IGNITION TOGETER....THEN A PUSH BUTTON FOR START.
    12 VOLTS IN TO ROCKER SWITCH..THEN TIE IGNITION..AND ACC TOGETHER...THEN TAKE IGNITION WIRE TO PUSH BUTTON..THEN ON OTHER TERMINAL AT PUSH BUTTON TO STARTER .

Blog Entries
    Just curious is your ignition switch bad. ?

Auto Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chevychase View Post
    Push button start would be simple..just run a fused 12 gauge wire from power to starter. here is one way to do it. hei is the coil the small wire at starter s- terminal...if your switch works ..just turn to on ..will not have to use the wire from toggle to coil. As far as accessories go would have to get in the column find the wires ..tie a toggle switch in..may take more than one...power to one side of toggle to accessory wire .
    I don't think that diagram will work. There is no circuit from the push button to the start terminal.

Blog Entries
    What is it missing turn toggle switch on all has power.?? maybe i,am having a brain fert. right now.

Auto Banned
    Positive to off terminal on toggle switch. On terminal should go to push button. Other terminal on button to starter start terminal. If you need to turn on coil add wire from on side of the toggle switch.

Blog Entries
    Need to know if his ignition works? I thought i told him that on the coil wire . Guess i should of explained better..my bad.

push button and switch are swapped on the first diagram
    for this to work your still going to need to turn the key on . Take a look at how many
    wires go to the ignition switch. For one thing the fuel pump needs to run .