Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Boudin
  • 1 Post By dirtrider73068

Thread: 98 K1500 - Want to install dual exhaust but have questions

98 K1500 - Want to install dual exhaust but have questions

I have a 98 1500, 350 Vortec and the exhaust is SHOT. I have a guy that will bend it all and put it on there. The issue is its the dual cat version and has 4 02 sensors(ridiculous). If Im gonna run true duals obviously I want to do away with the cats. We dont have emissions testing up here..but what about the 02 sensors located after the cats? How am I going to make this work? Will it run correctly on just the 2 that are up near the engine? Need some advice. I really dont want just cat back exhaust. Any help greatly appreciated

Unfortunately, if you want your truck to perform like it should....you are going to have to retain the catalytic converters and all 4 O2 sensors. My guess is that you are thinking that the catalytic converters are restrictive and is the reason that you are wanting to remove them. This is a common mistake. Now....on yours....since you mentioned that the exhaust is "shot"....I would guess that your catalytic converters have a few miles on them. It would be wise to go ahead and replace them....IMO rather than just leave them on there. Deleting them is not an option. Not because of emissions testing....but because your ECM needs the input from those two O2 sensors to run correctly. Without them, you will have your truck experiencing trouble getting out of its own way.

As far as the rest of the system.....you have a lot of options on mufflers. You also need to decide if you want to run true duals or not. Difference being that true duals have basically two of everything and do not have any type of crossover pipe (x pipe or h pipe).

Bottom line here is that you need to forget about deleting any of what you mentioned. If you need help deciding on what to get for the rest of it....go to you tube. There are plenty of people on there who have uploaded videos that include them showing off their "pipes".
    skooter likes this.

It wasnt so much that I thought they were restrictive but theyre mainly just shot. 200k on them. Thats a major bummer that I need to keep them on there. Theyre not exactly cheap and they quiet it down quite a bit. With mufflers also it would be pretty quiet. I just wanted aluminized pipe with headers and flowmaster 40s. Itd cost too much to do if I had to buy 2 cats too. I might just keep it like it is and run cat back, itd still be like real duals since there are 2 individual pipes all the way to the muffler.

Catalytic converters for your truck will run you about $180 for the pair. Assuming you can reuse your O2 sensors (if they are still good)....it might be less expensive than you think. Catalytic converters do quiet it down slightly since anytime you do anything to the exhaust flow....whether it be a turn or a muffler....it will quiet it down some. Depending on the sound you are looking for....I don't see a good working catalytic converter making a huge difference....like it being the reason you don't like the sound.

I'm not sure what you mean that it would be like duals if you were get a cat back exhaust that goes to one muffler. That's almost identical to your setup now. I certainly wouldn't put headers on there just to end up back to a single exhaust. It kinda defeats the purpose. You could always just put you a couple of turbo mufflers on there. They are very reasonably priced.

I'm telling you....you need to look on YouTube for videos of people's trucks and their exhaust to shop around for what you want it to sound like. The only person that knows what sound you are looking for is you.

You will have to have the cats on this truck sine you 4 o2 sensors, if you delete or gut the cat it will not run right, it uses the after cat 02 senors to further adjust the fuel mixture and how the truck runs, the cats are not that restrictive, more of a sound breaker kinda like a muffler, there are flow though cats you can put on. But for you to do a true dual you are looking at double everything from the exhaust manifolds back. You can run a dual cat back exhaust and it still sound just fine.
    chevychase likes this.
    1994 white ext cab chevy silverado 5.7 rolling 230k miles
    stock with air filter lid flipped,
    open flowing exhaust to a 40 series flowmaster dumped.
    God Bless America, Support our Troops!

Yeah. Im going to just go cat back, probably with no muffler depending on how loud it is. It'll be good enough. Just finished putting a new tranny in it yesterday. Now Im just waiting for 2 new 33x12.50's via ups and it will be up and running for now. Thanks for all the info everyone.

I meant it will still be like real duals because there are 2 cats/2 pipes. I meant 1 muffler as in a flowmaster dual in/dual out since there isnt exactly a ton of room there. When I get it on the lift and cut off the old muffler Ill decide if I need another muffler or if its not real loud ill just bend pipes to the back and leave the OE cats alone.

I have a flowmaster 40 dumped in the bed and its got some good sound you can hear me coming down the street but its not too loud, though it does have some cab noise but I am use to use.
    1994 white ext cab chevy silverado 5.7 rolling 230k miles
    stock with air filter lid flipped,
    open flowing exhaust to a 40 series flowmaster dumped.
    God Bless America, Support our Troops!