Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Extremely stiff ride '93 c1500 (Indy Pace Truck)

Extremely stiff ride '93 c1500 (Indy Pace Truck)

Hi All -
    I have two c1500's (a '93 & a '97)... both have stock suspension. The '97 has always ridden very smoothly though, of course, I feel the bumps (I like that kind of road feel).
    The '93 (Indy Pace Truck) has stock suspension but rides like a steel beam. It is the stiffest thing I've ever been in. Hitting even a small bump is almost painful with no give or bounce at all. Is this normal for that truck and what can I do about it... remove rear leaf? Shocks are new gabriel gas shocks.

Thanks

The first thing I check on these situations is tire pressure. You probably are good, but just trying to cover all the bases. Has the suspension been modified at all from what you can tell? I would think new shocks would help it out. Did it make it worse or better?

Shocks didn't seem to make any difference... essentially the same steel beam ride.
    I'm going to compare my '97 rear leafs with those on the '93 to see there is any difference.

Thanks

Hmmm....shocks have one purpose....to dampen the movement up and down as the truck runs over bumps. The particular shocks for your truck is based on the original suspension and ensures that the shock travel will be starting at the normal ride height and cover the distance of the suspension travel. When people alter the suspension to adjust the ride height....if they still have the original style shocks.....the shock travel is limited resulting in the shocks not providing the dampening that they should.

A lot of people alter their suspensions to make the ride height more level with the front. A 2wd truck comes from the factory with a ride height difference of about 1.5"-2.0" higher in the back so when you load the bed with stuff....it won't squat (back lower than front). Ideally, you want to get shocks that are made for that new ride height.

I don't know if the pace truck had any special suspension parts or if it was just like a standard 2wd setup. I hate to hear that it is riding so rough. I'm suprised that new shocks didn't change it at all. Is it possible that there might be a "load helper" spring added to the truck? These will make it ride a lot rougher since they basically are made to stiffen the suspension.

I certainly would take a good look underneath for mods and even count the number of leafs.

Auto Banned
    I removed one of the leafs, one on each side, on the rear of my 92. Truck now sits level and rides much better.

Blog Entries
    The "Pace Truck" addition I'm pretty sure was based on the Sport platform (350 Sport/ 454SS). Those trucks had a little different set up than the normal 2wd trucks, for a "sportier" ride/ handling. You might want to research in that direction to find out what the differeance is. Maybe a dealer (parts counter) can give some insite or web searching. -Mike
    YjPete likes this.
    '96 K1500 Ext. Cab Z71, 5.7L, Spectre Air Intake, 4L60E, 199K+, 13/18mpg
    My other car is Aircooled
    '69 Patina (0\_!_/0)

Can we get a pic of your 93?

Blog Entries
    I found ouy the sport package (code BYP) from, Welcome To My Newest Bit Of Nothing!. I also pulled this info from: Chevrolet C/K - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia .........

The suspension was also upgraded with 32 mm (1.3 in) Bilstein gas-filled shock absorbers, a 32 mm (1.3 in) front stabilizer bar, and 12.7:1 fast-ratio steering gear assembly.
    I found this in info on the 454SS so I'm not sure if it applies to the Indy or even the 350 Sport for that matter. I'm having a hard time just narrowing down the Indy or Sport info.
    Sodell likes this.
    '69 Patina (0\_!_/0)

Blog Entries
    I found something else on Factory Sport Trucks ........

GMC Seirra GT/Chevrolet Sport - Powered by the 5.7-liter V8 (1996 and newer trucks get the new Vortec engines) mated to a 5-speed manual tranmission or 4-speed automatic. Options include 15x8-inch chrome 5-spoke 454SS-type wheels with 275/60R15 BFGoodrich Comp T/As, Bilstien shocks, sway bars, and a 454SS-type air dam with fog lights. The body of these trucks receive a mono-chromatic paint treatment. The GMC Sierra gets "GT" decals. These trucks are availble in both the fleetside and Sportside body styles.
    And also from Vehicle Information Kits - GM Heritage Center

http://www.gmheritagecenter.com/docs...olet-Truck.pdf
    '69 Patina (0\_!_/0)

Thanks for all the help.
    I did look at the rear springs and there are 4 like my other truck ('97 Cheyenne) but they measure about a 1/4" thicker (ea)... which, times 4 will give me an extra inch of stiffness. I'm going to try the removal route and see how that goes. I never carry/haul anything heavy so that shouldn't be an issue. Truck does have those super-wide Indy Firehawk rear tires also. Might put on my extra set of std Dunlops & see if that helps.

Again... thanks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast