Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: 95 chevy silverado not starting

95 chevy silverado not starting

my 95 chevy silverado c1500 w/ 5.7 350 wont start. i have been having a few issues while i have been trying to start it but it has always started. for instance i would try to start it but when i turn the key over all i hear is a click. i keep trying to start it and it will jsut click but it always started. but today i drove my truck and when i got home i had to leave again and now it wont start at all. there is no click or anything. i tried jumping it and nothing happened. the battery is also new. when i put the key in the on position all the lights and radio works fine. it just wont start. any help would be great.

Well, the "click" and the "nothing" tell me that the connection to the starter is probably loose. It is the only logical explanation since the battery is new. Check the connections for tightness and corrosion.

do you think im going to need a new starter?

It's a possibility, but based on what you are describing.....its too early to determine that. Let's just take it a step at a time and eliminate the simple stuff first.

Auto Banned
    Sounds like you are going to need a new starter.

Blog Entries
    Could be anything from ignition switch to loose connection/dirty at starter or battery.
    Also check the ground to motor/frame good connection.
    When/if it is dark have someone turn key ..see if you see.. any sparks/flash down at the starter.
    If so probably bad connection.
    Take the starter off either bench test it ..or take to auto parts for a test.

Gitter done have fun. Running on empty...running blind...running behind.....

You have to remember that if the starter doesn't get enough power, it will only click repeatedly. Reason it isn't getting enough power could be that the battery isn't able to provide the proper voltage to it.....or that it is capable.....but for one reason or another....can't get the necessary power delivered to the starter lug. That's why I am leaning towards a loose connection or corroded situation that impedes the flow of electricity from the battery to the starter. The fact you mentioned a new battery makes me think that the battery is perfectly able to provide the necessary amount of electricity....it's the inability to deliver it through the wiring that is causing the problem.

I have had a situation before where tightening the main cable lug on the starter only 1/8 of a turn solved a problem similar to yours. All the lights would function fine, but when you went to start it....it would just do nothing and act like it had no battery connected to it at all.

Please understand that I am giving you my best guesstimate based on what you are describing. If I was looking at your truck in person, I would be able to tell you with more certainty exactly the problem. I can't say at this point that your starter is definitely good.....or that this might not end up being something I haven't mentioned like you have a bad battery.....your alternator is bad....etc, etc. Of all the possibilities that could cause the starter to function like you are describing that I can imagine.....the list gets long pretty quickly. Some are less likely than others, but not impossible. You have to remember that when diagnosing over the internet like this, someone like myself trying to help you out has to approach this from a standpoint of ordering the likely causes from most likely to least likely based solely on the things you include about the situation. In this situation.....like I said....the most likely cause that I can tell is the loose connection/impeded current flow scenario. Luckily, that is a simple one to check out and is why I suggested it first. You have to be my eyes and ears here and it't important to take this one step at a time. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my guesstimation is going to be on target....but certainly open to it being not the case. I can go through and tell you the entire list of possibilities of what I would do to figure out each and every possible scenario I can imagine here.....but there isn't any sense in doing that at this point in time. I don't think I have to explain why, but please understand that it isn't because I don't want to do everything I can to help you figure this one out and get the problem licked.

Please go ahead and do this easy step of taking a wire brush....or scotch brite pad.....or steel wool....or whatever to clean all connection points starting with the positive lug on the battery.....the large lug on the starter.....and the grounds. Because you have to loosen the connections to do this.....it forces you to make sure they are all tight as well. If you have access to a voltmeter, another extremely simple thing you can do is to take the probes and measure the voltage at the battery terminals and then again at the starter connection. A fully charged battery should give you 12.6 V. The starter would start to "click" when the voltage gets down to around 12.0 V or less. Voltages and percent charged are about......12.6V-100%.....and drop roughly 10% for every 0.1V less than that. Ie....12.5V-90%, 12.4V-80%, and so on and so forth.

ok. ill check for this stuff first thing tomorrow. thank you for all the posts

Chevychase and Gp are certainly thinking along the same lines as I am and I completely agree with them. It's just too early to tell anything as far as a diagnosis that anyone would be 100% confident about. It has nothing to do with anyone on here not wanting to be able to do that. I wish it were that easy. It just is too early to tell. Both the suggestions that Gp and Chevychase are good ones and I feel confident that they would say the same thing about what I have suggested so far. We are all thinking along the same lines here. If I asked you why my truck wouldn't start and told you it has a new battery.....you would be able to answer the question of if my starter was bad about as accurate as you would be able to tell me what color my paint job was or if I needed new tires. Any details you can provide certainly help with the diagnosis and you have done a good job so far of doing just that. Let's just take this one step at a time and I promise that given the amount of people on here that are more than happy to assist you in diagnosing your issue.....We surely will end up figuring this problem out together and you will end up with a truck that fires right up every time you turn the key.

Just one more thing I wanted to add.....

This forum obviously is a great one and I'm glad you found it to help you out with your issue. Guys like Chevychase and Gp are certainly very kind to share their expertise and are a heck of a lot smarter than me. I like to think I can hold my own, though. Lol.

With any issue that someone asks about (like you have done here), I think it is important for someone like myself who offers an educated guess to include what our reasons were and what our line of thinking was for coming to that educated guess. I feel it certainly helps someone out in your shoes a lot better, but more importantly....explaining what our thought process was certainly goes a long way to help you out in the diagnosis process by arming you with knowledge. Knowing the "why" can help you out considerably sometimes because it makes you think for yourself and could easily help you to see what the problem is on your own. I hope that makes sense.

Please forgive me for mentioning all this and none of this is directed at you personally at all. For whatever reason, this has crossed my mind and I thought it was worth sharing. I don't mean to deviate from your original thread about your issue.

Please give us an update of what you end up finding once you are able to give it some time. Good luck with it and I'm keeping my fingers crossed it's something simple.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast