Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1978 Chevrolet Scottsdale

1978 Chevrolet Scottsdale/1990 Silverado 4x4

Hi, this is my first post. I am looking for a used truck for not alot of money to pull my sleds this winter. I have come across a 78' Scottsdale for sale for $1,500 here is the discription and some pictures. I has a I think the guy said a 1' hole that needs patching on the drivers side floor and the wheel wells also need patching the bed has some rust he told me as well. He is not sure of total miles but there is 22,000 on a rebuild. I am wondering if this truck is worth getting or not and what are some things to look for when seeing this turck? Here is the aid and pictures.

Price: $2,000 or Best Offer
    Color: brown
    Miles: 22,000
    Body Style: 2-Door Truck

Engine: 350 - 8 Cylinders
    Transmission: Automatic
    Drive: Four Wheel Drive
    VIN: ckl148j129034

Description: This truck is a 1978 chevy scottsdale with a rebuilt engine with about 22,000 miles on it. Runs great. New exhaust since cops dont like loud exhaust. New break lines all around. KC offroad lights on brush gaurd. 4 inch suspension lift. 33 inch BF Goodrich Trail T/A's. Needs some patching work. Small hole on drivers side floor panel. Never find a deal like this anywhere.

Options:Bench SeatCup HoldersPower SteeringBox RailsFour Wheel DriveTinted WindowsChrome/Aluminum WheelsOff Road LightsTrailer Hitch

http://imageserver.carsoup.com/ckl14...1.jpg?xt=61425

http://imageserver.carsoup.com/ckl14...2.jpg?xt=61425

http://imageserver.carsoup.com/ckl14...3.jpg?xt=61425

http://imageserver.carsoup.com/ckl14...4.jpg?xt=61425

http://imageserver.carsoup.com/ckl14...5.jpg?xt=61425

All the advide you have would be very helpful I know nothing about turcks?
    Thanks in advance Brain.
    Last edited by 92Jag; 09-23-2005 at 09:47 PM.

I'd take it to someone who does rust work on these older cars and trucks and get him to look at it.

I've found it hard to find good and reasonable people to work on these boys because it's so much work.

If you don't care about the rust just run it until its not safe or fun to drive anymore. Who cares in a work truck.

If you want a good driver that looks good and you'll keep it then you'll probably have to tear this thing apart to get all the rust. I'll bet the caps are bad, I'd worry behind the bed on the cab, around the windshield, the rockers will be bad and I'd worry about the firewall. The pans aren't that hard. You can fix the bed easily. Replace the panels. They are cheap. So is the hood. In fact the parts are cheap. It's the labor and time to cut or remove things and reweld and replace. Then you gotta prep and paint it. It's probably rusted up around the front of the hood as well.

If the motor and drivetrain are good then it's a good deal for the parts. Run it until you find a good body and swap them out if it has a heater that works and doesn't leak.

If the motor needs rebuilding, the tranny needs work and the frame is so rusty stuff looks like it's going to fall off then stay away period.

Thanks for the info I guess if the motor was rebuilt then the tranny needs to be redone as well so I think I will keep looking.

Not necessarily so. The motor looked like it had some aftermarket stuff. I'd still have someone look at it. The motor could be worth more than 1500. And trannys don't have to be expensive to rebuild. But you're there.

All right I put it on my list of ones to look at I just found another one here it is.

CHEVROLET 1990 Silverado 4x4 Step-side. Loaded, air, cruise, CD, PW, and more. Very good shape. New tires. Runs and drives great. Only $1,995. WEST TOWN MOTORS N10575 Lakeshore Rd. Clintonville, WI 715-823-7800

The trade in is $1590 assuming 150,000 miles. Private resale is $2465. If it has a clean title and has not been seriously wrecked and runs well then it looks like a reasonable price. If you want to get serious let a paint and body man look at it as well as your mechanic. I don't know how comfortable you are surveying a vehicle and I don't know how much it costs to get someone to look at it for you. If you're comfortable looking at it yourself and the mileage is decent then it's a fair price. Not sure if that helps or not.

Yea that helps alot they were closed this fri and sat I try to call tomorow to find out milage is its a few miles form my house so I want to call first. Am I right saying that 150,000 miles is decent for that truck?
    Thanks for the help.

If your just lookin for something to pull you can beat upp this winter. go with the 78. Alot less to worry about. I dont know what you mean by pulling a sled, What kind of sled. if it is real heavy the 78 has a much stronger transmission assuming it is an automatic in the 1991. For a workhorse go with the 78
    Window tint its for window, Not for tail lights. Don't be that guy .

Sleds meaning snowmobiles how are the engines for that year in the silverado and what are some things to look out for in it compared to other years? Was it a bullett proof engine or did in need lots of up and replacing of head gaskets? I will use the turck for pulling snowmobiles and general winter driving.

well then that s easy. You are gonna drive it on icy probally salted roads, Go with the older truck.It has a rebuilt engine and already has some rust so who cares if it gets some more. They call them winter beaters in Michigan. And the good part about the older truck is simple to fix for the ameture mechanic. if you are doing alot of pulling the th400 is the best choice there too.
    Window tint its for window, Not for tail lights. Don't be that guy .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast