Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 99 silverado acceleration problems

Exclamation 99 silverado acceleration problems

I have a 99 chevy silverado 5.3 that will sometimes fall flat on ots face when taking off. Seems the harder you get on it the worse it gets, until you let off and peddle it a little bit then it will take off. seems to be happening most when I turn say out of a parking lot on to roadway. there are no codes, no check engine light, no idea. I have been kicking around ideas that it could be bad gas, but its been going on now for about 3000 miles. In which time I ran it completely out of fuel. thought maybe its a sensor like o2 or something but figured there would be a code if it was. I even have considered a catalytic converter being plugged or a fuel pump problem but I dont want to go changing a bunch of things and not solve the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you ran it completely out of gas be sure to change your fuel filter. Running them completely out will suck up all the debris from the bottom of the tank and clog your filter.
    John Wayne

2000 F-350 7.3L Powerstroke 4x4

How many miles on the truck? Sounds like fuel delivery to me,How long since all the fuel filters were changed.
    The only good thing that came from cash for clunkers is that it got most of the OBAMA bumper stickers off the streets.

Exclamation 99 silverado hessitation

85,000 miles on stock truck, no mods. just changed air and fuel filter as well as plugs and wires. ther is an oil leak somewhere on the front end. I have not yet pin pointed it but I am thinking maybe an Intake gasket leaking. Do you tthink this could be my problem. Also recently it has popped up thruogh the intake a couple of times, like and old carb backfire, Which makes me think its running very lean for some reason(maybe sucking air in intake gasket). et me know what you might think about all this please.

Same truck same problem

Hey I am havingthe same problem. I have a 99 silverado 5.3 as well. I was having starting problems as well and finally found my fuel regulator was leaking a little bit. I replaced it and it fixed the starting but nothing else. Any other ideas? Replaced plugs and wires, replaced fuel pump.

2000 Silverado acceleration problems

I have similar problems with my 2000 silverado 5.3. Taking off from red lights or stop signs, turning out of parking lots, I push the accelerator and it takes 3-5 seconds some times for a response. Also, at freeway speed, between 50-65 it will sometimes lag in acceleration and shutter a little bit.

Replaced my O2 sensor and vacuum hose about 10,000 miles ago, plugs about 15,000 miles, probably due for a new fuel filter though I did replace that not more than 6 months ago. I even ran Sea Foam through about every 3-4 tank of gas for a while.

yeah i have the same problem with my 99 gmc sierra with a 5.3. its been happening since about 55,000 and i have 84,000 on it now. it will spit and sputter until i hit about 40 and then it takes right off. when it spits and sputters and i don't let off taking off, the rpm's will keep rising until about 3500 RPM's and then it will slam into second and then everything is fine. Still can't figure it out, but would love to know.

maybe you could get ahold of the dealer and see if there is a recall on anything will all you saying you have the same problem gotta be somthing up.

How to Diagnose a Failing Fuel Pump on Your Car

by Allen Teal on Feb 27, 2009 with 6 Comments

The primary symptoms caused by a failing fuel pump and other problems that can produce the same or similar symptoms.

When the fuel pump is working right, you will not even know that you have one. However, if it fails, you will be left stuck on the side of the road about to have your wallet emptied for a repair bill. Years ago, mechanical fuel pumps would cost you about $20 for the part and $30 to $50 to have it put on the car. Today, electric fuel pumps that reside inside the gas tank will cost you $200 for the pump and about the same to have it installed.

If you can learn the warning signs that the fuel pump is starting to fail, you may be able to spare yourself the part about being stranded. In fact, if you are handy with tools, you may be able to save the labor bill, too. Weak fuel pumps are not always easy to diagnose in by a mechanic. The reason for this is that when they are first starting to fail, fuel pumps falter intermittently. They also tend to manifest the problem at highway speeds rather than at idle.
    The warning signs of a failing fuel pump are not hard to identify. The problem is that they can mimic other problems in the early stages. It is common for people to makes serveral lesser repairs before tackling the fuel pump. The expense of this big ticket repair scares most people away until there is no other choice.

Read more in Do-It-Yourself
    Reuse Before You Recycle
    How to Recharge Your Car’s Air Conditioner

Your engine will seem to miss at highway speeds.

A engine that misfires will cause the car to jerk occasionally while going along the highway. Frequently, the fuel pump will falter for a mile or so two or three times and then run fine for the next 50 or more miles. This type of problem can be misdiagnosed as a bad spark plug or plug wire. In some cases, you will just be told that you probably had a little moisture in your tank that caused your fuel filter to act up. A mechanic may even persuade you to change the filter or get a tune up.

Your car will lose power as you pull away from a standing stop.

You push down on the accelerator, and the car starts to go and suddenly seems like it is going to die. Immediately, it seems to restart and off you go. This type of problem can be thought to be an oxygen sensor failing. Since this is a quick but not always cheap fix, you may opt to give it a try. This same type of symptom can be caused by your smog control devices on the car. A final possibility is that the distributor or coil is not working properly. About 75% of the time, this will turn out to be the fuel pump.

You lose power at highway speeds especially when the car is climbing a hill or under a strain.

This problem is almost 100% of the time caused by a fuel system failure. The fuel filter is the first culprit. Once this is ruled out, the fuel pump is the next best bet. The difficulty here is that this type of failure can be intermittent, too.

Your car cranks when trying to start it, but it does not hit or start.

Two issues cause this problem. The first is the timing belt or chain has broken. Without a timing belt, your car will turn over, but will not start. Almost any mechanic will not have a problem figuring out which one it is. Most cars have an inspection plate to view the timing belt or chain. By taking a look inside, the mechanic can determine if the belt is alright. If it is, the problem is the fuel pump.
    When several of these symptoms occur over a short period of time, you should seriously consider that it is the fuel pump. Taking early steps to have it replaced or replace it yourself will save you frustration and possibly some cash.

Read more: How to Diagnose a Failing Fuel Pump on Your Car | Gomestic

Unhappy 99 Chevy Silverado Power Loss

I am having some similar issues with my 99 Chevy Silverado. Mine has a hard time starting, under load when trying to accellerate it falls on its face the RPM's go up it sputters and if you floor it you get total powerloss with backfiring. I had an issue with the cats last fall throwing 02 sensor codes so I replaced those last fall. I thought it still might be the cats so I hollowed them out and put them back up but it did not fix it. I do have a fairly new fuel pump and I am planning on replacing the fuel filter with the one that has the fuel pressure test fitting on it next weekend. I checked the compression and all cyl's are at 150. Has anyone concidered a timing issue. I saw someone elsewhare had a cracked harmonic balancer that caused the same issues. I did some checking and if it is timing it would be either the harmonic balancer, the timing chain or a crank position sensor. the symptoms seem to fit timing chain or harmonic balancer the best.... What does anyone else think about this?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast