Thread: GM red antifreeze question

Question GM red antifreeze question

I have been advised by a local garage to remove the red antifreeze from my 97 chevy truck and replace it with the green type , he said GM red antifreeze will clog and corrode the cooling system. Has anyone heard of this problem or experienced this? thanks ohio larry

South Florida (Palm Beach), originally from south of BOSTON
    i have to second that, id say get that red stuff out and fill it with green.... highly recommended.
    im a straight shooter with upper management written all over me

Your garage is right, but they may have forgoten to tell you if you keep your system topped off with Dexcool, you want have this problem. But, if you run your system low, yes it will clog and corrode, it will look like someone put pink chewing gum in there. Do a full system flush, and go green of pink, its your choice, but green may be better for your year modle. hope this helps.

Sorry, Dexcool is red and now it's orange. Maybe we will have a new color soon.

Adiose the dexcool,Go green
    Window tint its for window, Not for tail lights. Don't be that guy .

I haven't had any problems with the Dexcool clogging anything in our 96 4x4 (nearly 141,000 miles on it now). If the level drops and/or you get a lot of air in the cooling system, then yes it can clog things. Some other "green" antifreezes will do the same thing, under the same circumstances.

If you do make the switch, the real key is to make sure the entire cooling system is flushed out very, very well. Mixing the Dexcool with the regular "green" stuff will cause problems for you. The two types basically chemically attack each other, really clogging things up. You'll also need to make sure someone doesn't accidentally top off the cooling system with Dexcool later either (I've seen it happen at a dealership before).

Prestone does make a new antifreeze that is "green", but compatable with the Dexcool. You need to read the label carefully to make sure you get the right one.

I hate the red/pink/orange I flush that **** out of my trucks and put in green which is even getting hard to find since they are making stuff that is compatible with both styles of coolant. I have worked in GM dealers for over 20 years now and the orange stuff corrodes away intake plugs stuff up and seaps out anywhere it can. Have not seen much of any problems with the green in those years. On your 97 truck its prestty easy to flush out. Just remove thermostat then rebolt housing down without gasket and with out thermostat open petcock run garden hose in top of radiator letting it drain and refill with water all at the same time after about 20 minutes turn off truck turn off garden hose and let all drain out then fill with half of you coolant capcity with straight green and you will have a perfect 50/50 mix of the good old green coolant.

go green. you wont regret it