Thread: Does Dual Exhaust help performance and mileage?

Does Dual Exhaust help performance and mileage?

I have a 2006 Silverado with a 4.8 Liter (Geesh! Whatever happened to the 287?) I had dual exhaust put on it today, flowmaster. Does this really help with performance and fuel economy? If yes, how?

What do you mean 287? the answer is yes and no. Some will and some will actually hurt performance do some research before you let someone hack up the exhaust. Make sure ou know that they know what they are doing. Most will add a couple ponies but usually wont hep mileage
    Window tint its for window, Not for tail lights. Don't be that guy .

The question of "whatever happened to the 287", also meant the 454's, 302's, 350's, 427's...etc. Now everything is in liters. It just doesn't sound right to me.

Well, then call it the 293. That's the number of cubic inches in the 4.8.
    Corey

2006 Chevy Silverado 1500 LS Crew-cab 4x4

I didn't know that, thanks! Still would like someone to explain to me whether or not dual exhause helps with fuel effeciency and how please

i dont think that it helps or hurts it in either directions to make a noticeable or feasible difference. at least if it's a half-decent job....... as for the cubic inch and liter thing..... liters * 62 = roughly cubic inch measurement, therefore, CI/62 = rough liters
    99 suburban xlt
    96 silverado
    91 wrangler (my baby )
    08 Honday shadow 750 (my mistress)

Read my above post, it has some good info in there. i am not typing it out twice.
    Window tint its for window, Not for tail lights. Don't be that guy .

chevyguy tells it like it is, I like that. Maybe, I can expand on his yes and no answer. Did an exhaust modification improve air flow? Yes? Then more than likely you have gained a few more ponies. However, by going to dual exhaust did you sacrifice the crossover that balances cylinder pulses? If you got rid of it, then chances are you have got something that sounds more 50's era, without an improvement in mileage or hp. Exhaust technology has come a very long way, and well designed single systems, can improve power, by freeing up flow, and increase mileage by lowering exhaust temps. Heak the weight savings alone from a stock muffler has gotta be worth 1 mpg. The down side is, that a poorly designed system, can have the opposite effect on your vehicle. Much more info is required to guess at whether or not your new system really helped or not. Pipe size, length, outlet location,exact muffler, stock manifolds, or headers, cats, or no cats? These are all factors in a complete system. A vague question, will get you a vague answer.