Thread: Replacing A/C evap coil on 1996 Chevy.truck

Replacing A/C evap coil on 1996 Chevy.truck

Help!! Like to know what all is involved in replacing a evaporator coil on a 96 Chevy P.U.2500. Just had the motor replaced by a Chevy dealership with a 3 year 100,000 mile warranty. They also replaced most of every thing on the top side, dist. water pump,manifold,injectors,wires,bla, bla ,bla. I even replaced the clutch fan and radiator new battery and alternator( new) not rebuilt. Any how I took the truck in to have that 350 replaced and with a working A/C for years. They said my A/C hose that runs in front of the "carb" and then behind it was leaking. so they replaced it and recharged my system. Well now my evaporator coil is leaking out all the freon and they say that they had nothing to do with it. The dealership recharged the system and added a die in the system...well when they showed were the leak was with a black light and yellow glasses it was dripping from the drip system from the AC evap coil. After ticking off the mechanic and the salesman ,I am left replacing what is broke.Could they have recharged my system and blew out the Evap. coil?
    I am over $7,000.00 into this motor. I should have street racer at that price . instead I have a very reliable heavy duty 3/4 ton Chevy W/O A/C!!!

Born & raised in Hawaii had to move to Salt Lake City...bummer
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman
    Help!! Like to know what all is involved in replacing a evaporator coil on a 96 Chevy P.U.2500. Just had the motor replaced by a Chevy dealership with a 3 year 100,000 mile warranty. They also replaced most of every thing on the top side, dist. water pump,manifold,injectors,wires,bla, bla ,bla. I even replaced the clutch fan and radiator new battery and alternator( new) not rebuilt. Any how I took the truck in to have that 350 replaced and with a working A/C for years. They said my A/C hose that runs in front of the "carb" and then behind it was leaking. so they replaced it and recharged my system. Well now my evaporator coil is leaking out all the freon and they say that they had nothing to do with it. The dealership recharged the system and added a die in the system...well when they showed were the leak was with a black light and yellow glasses it was dripping from the drip system from the AC evap coil. After ticking off the mechanic and the salesman ,I am left replacing what is broke.Could they have recharged my system and blew out the Evap. coil?
    I am over $7,000.00 into this motor. I should have street racer at that price . instead I have a very reliable heavy duty 3/4 ton Chevy W/O A/C!!!
    I don't think your evap coil blew to begin with since recharging is done with guages attached. Sounds more like something happen to it during the swapping of the motor. It was working when you sent it in and now its not. Even if they've replaced a defective hose they were the "last" people to touch it. So you're entitled to have it repaired/replaced at no charge to you. Changing the coil is not a big deal. Its pretty much self-explanatory when you look at how it's installed.
    '85 Oldsmobile 442
    '93 Chevy 2WD C1500 350 Silverado Extended Cab Shortbed
    '95 Chevy 4WD K2500 454 Silverado Extended Cab Long Bed

Thanks 808,

Any suggestions that I may use when I tell them that they created the problem ? You know how a dealership can be ... they will blow smoke up your a_ _ to keep from correcting their mistakes.

Bassman

Born & raised in Hawaii had to move to Salt Lake City...bummer
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman
    Thanks 808,

Any suggestions that I may use when I tell them that they created the problem ? You know how a dealership can be ... they will blow smoke up your a_ _ to keep from correcting their mistakes.

Bassman
    Well, its like this, everything should be given back to you in working condition especially when it was working to begin with. A defective hose could of been defective by them at the time of the engine being installed. So you can tell them that.
    '85 Oldsmobile 442
    '93 Chevy 2WD C1500 350 Silverado Extended Cab Shortbed
    '95 Chevy 4WD K2500 454 Silverado Extended Cab Long Bed