Thread: 1991 Chevy C1500 stereo install

1991 Chevy C1500 stereo install

My girlfriend has a 1991 Chevy C1500 standard cab and wants an after market stereo. I have done installs before, but, im a little leery with hers. As I think all of the trucks of this year it has the stereo over the air con./heater and then a tape/eq in the center of the dash. I have a install kit from Metra for it, and a wiring kit. Is there anything else i need to know before starting this? does anyone happen to have a master build sheet from Crutchfield i could get a quick copy of, or is it pretty simple? Thanks very much guys, since we are getting married soon, it will be my truck as well, and i am excited to be able to share my joys and heart breaks of getting to play with her truck. Hope I can buy her a new car soon.... so i can have the truck to my self!

I had a cd player put in my 91' chevy a couple years ago. I had never done it before so i took it to a local shop and watched and from what i saw it was very simple u shouldn't have any problems.

I had a Cd player put in my 90 K1500 ...same radio location and tape deck as yours..installation place had a aftermarket piece to fit right into where your radio is...little storage area..fits a wallet real good now...and they put cd player where the tapedeck/ EQ was...everything is returnable to stock if I want..looks real nice....I can maybe find out about the insert for your radio if you like...I am in Vancouver Canada though

Platinum Member
    i have done radio installs in two trucks of the similiar year, they were very easy. you have to snap off the trim around the instrument cluster to remove the factory radio and install the replacment compartment. then the new radio goes in the middle of your dash below the two vents with the help of an install kit like in the picture below.
    <----just your average 5.3

sounds pretty simple, thanks alot, if you guys have any pics of your installs, i would love to see them! Thanks!

one thing if you don't have it already is the antenna adapter which should have come with the wire harness. if it doesn't just goto walmart and pick one up.

if you want you can leave the factory radio in and just reach around from the opening where the new radio is going in and unplug the factory radio. i did this on a friends 88 chevy and will probally be doing this soon on another friends 93 suburban
    06 silverado crew 1500, 18" kmc 820 series, k&n drop in replacement filter, 40 series flowmaster in place of stock muffler, and too much stereo equipment.