Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4.3 to 5.3 engine swap

4.3 to 5.3 engine swap

Hello everyone I am new here so i do not know if this issue has been disscussed or not but I have a 99 chevy silverado. And it has the vortec v6 and I would like to swap in a 5.3 liter v8. what issues do you think I will run into?

Currently, I live in Lancaster county, Pennsylvania.
    Okay, skip the 5.3 dude, the 4.3 is just a shortened 5.7. If you replace it with the 5.7 it will be a direct fit to your tranny, and very slight engine mount mods. Make sure though that if you go with a newer motor that you replace the brain, the comp needs to be able to fire 8 cylinders instead of 6.

I have a 1996 s10 and I have actually done extensive research on a v8 swap. I am telling you dude, you will be much happier with the 350.

Welcome to the site, glad to have you around, hope we hear more from you. Now your question; That 5.3 L engine with a 4L60E transmission, and all of the electrical to convert it is way expensive. I have a 6.0 L, and a 4L80E in a 75 1 ton 4x4. The engine was from a n 01 silverado 4x2, and it was not cheap. You will also drive yourself crazy doing the little things, fan shroud, radiator, exhaust, blah, blah, blah. There is more to it than meets the eye. It might be in your best interest to sell your truck, it is worth good money, and find a clean one with the equipment you desire. I can assure you, dollar for dollar, you will be time, and money ahead.
    Not to mention, The VIN number will always come back as a 6 cylinder truck, putting a V8 in these, when it was available from the factory this way, is a real value killer.
    Just my $.02

Wait a minute, 75K30, you would recommend against this? y? If he finds the right powerplant for the right price, why not upgrade? And I understand the vin problem, but how many people really look at that when they go to purchase a used truck? Just curious for myself and future endeavors....

This is a fullsize truck. The amount of work involved, and the money it would take would not offset the differance in blue book value. I just booked equal trucks, one with a 6 popper, and one with the 5.3. Both identical miles, and equipment and the diff was less than $800.00 bucks. Even if he got the drivetrain for free, it still does not sound like the way to go. Not when you could sell a truck with a 6 cylinder, and buy one the same day for almost the same money, and never get your hands dirty. I am all about modifications, and I love to wrench , but I also try to spend my time and money in the best ways possible.
    Visit KBB.com, and book one out yourself you will see.

Okay, thats fair, I was just curious, I hear of upgrades all the time, even with newer trucks. And sometomes I don't stop to think of cost to improve vs sale later... I just want you to know, I am not a dummie, although I act like one ocasionally....lol I am just not always thinking about the future sale of a project, just the immediate gradification...you know? I would never argue with you dude, 99.9% of the time, you have been right on the money, and I know we all appreciate that bud.

4.3 to 5.3 engine swap

Thanks for all of the tips. The reason I was curious about this swap is because I recently blew a head gasket and cracked the head. This engine has over three hundred thousand miles showing. Replacing the engine seems like my best bet. I plan on keeping the truck for now. But I can get a pretty good deal on a 5.3 or 6.0, but I am not sure if t is worth the hassle, if it is to much work I will just stick with the v6
    Last edited by osreid; 03-28-2007 at 10:39 PM. Reason: to much to drink

You are killimg me! If you have obtained that many miles out of a powerplant like that,,,,,,,,,,,,, then it is dying to be set free.
    Buy a new engine, or at least put that thing to sleep. A 6 popper with that many miles needs to be retired.......

Platinum Member
    thats alot of miles. God i love chevroltet. go with a new engine. daddy would tell you to stop worryin though. i hear it now, "put a new head and keep drivin that **** thing. it aint hurt."

i'd say replace the head just to see how far you can get her to go b4 she dies for good..... how often do u change the oil?
    99 suburban xlt
    96 silverado
    91 wrangler (my baby )
    08 Honday shadow 750 (my mistress)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast