Thread: Battery light question

Battery light question

Hi,

Driving home from work tonight, the battery light on my 1996 Chevy S10 pickup went on.

When I got home, I checked the battery posts and they were clean and tight, as were the belts.

Now, after the battery light went on, I noticed that the needle on the volt meter would not move at all when I revved the engine as it usually does.

I'm wondering if this is an alternator problem or something else?

Thanks,
    Skip

Welcome to the site Skip:
    There is a very good chance that the alternator has gone bad. You can check it by starting the vehicle, (if it will start), and disconnecting the neg, side of the battery. If the engine dies when the battery is disconnected, the alternator is not charging, and will require replacement. If it stays running, then the alternator is charging, and there is a connection that is bad, and requires some further troubleshooting. Check all connections first, then try the test. It is quik, and easy to do, and requires nothing special.

It could also be the alternator is working.. but barely, maybe not giving enough juice. After trying what 75K30 suggested you can try plugging it back in and turning on your lights, A/C radio and see if you notice a difference with dash lights or headlights dimming the more you put on. If you do see them dimming I would take the alternator out and have it tested at you local parts store. We just found that with my Saturn, I didn't have a light, but I saw the dimming. After a swap out no more problems
    Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock

Thanks folks for the warm welcome!
    I took my truck to my local garage this morning, and they tested it and it was the alternator, so they put on a new one.
    Now I'm a bit poorer, but I have wheels again!
    Thank you for your help

just something i learned about newer vehicles.... when you disconnect the neg on the battery there is a posibility of creating a high eneregy surge - kinda like how your coil works - on blowing fuses or fusible links or in one instance a logic module on a caravan. I trust a volt meter myself 13.5 to 15 volts at the battery tells me alt is working fine 12.6 and below means trouble.. do another test at output on the alt (the red single wire with the ring terminal connected to the back of the alt ) and see what is there 14 or 0. If 14 there and not at battery bad ground or blown fuse.. if nothing or low current remove and have the nice person at parts store test for ya. good luck
    "It is what it is"

Sure sounds like the Alt is out... You can have it tested for free at most auto parts to be sure ......Make sure you do during daylight hours though don't want to drive at night, you'd have to use your lights and that would kill your battery.

RideHard/ RideFast/ RideSafe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRNI06iYZ5g

06-14-2007, 11:50 PM old thread

Thanks Dave...........need to pay more attention

RideHard/ RideFast/ RideSafe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRNI06iYZ5g