Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: front wheel bearing/hub assembly on a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500

front wheel bearing/hub assembly on a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500

I'm replacing the front wheel bearing/hub assembly on a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 with 4WD and rear wheel antilock brakes. I have removed the wheel, caliper, caliper holder, rotor, hub nut and the three bolts holding on the bearing/hub assembly. From what I have read, it is common for the bearing/hub to become seized onto the axle. This is true in my case. I used a wheel puller to try and remove the hub bearing and all that came off was the front part of the assembly that attaches to the axle leaving the back part of the assembly still on the vehicle. I don't see anyway that I can use the wheel puller to help me remove this portion. I'm looking for any ideas that would help.

Thanks

Use a block of steel approximatley 2" in size, have someone start the vehicle, turn the wheel, install the block so that it is "pinched" between the axle housing and the u-joint spindle, have them trun the steering wheel to "squish" the block this will put pressure to push hub off, may need to pinch it on both sides to break it loose. (in front and behind axle) and if its really stuck a dead blow aswell, this system i`ve never had to use heat, good luck and wear gloves and saftey glasses...highly recommended, don`t pinch your fingers either!!

Platinum Member
    x2 on the safety glasses suggestion
    <----just your average 5.3

I just replaced mine and the book said 175lbs of torque on the hub nut. That seems a bit extreme to me, I've burned out bearings before by overtightening them before. Should I be concerned about the torque specs or does this sound reasonable?

Platinum Member
    sounds right, my chevy was around 150-200. 2 wheel drive is a different story though.

Thanks, I was a bit worried. The hub was $120 here in Missouri. I didn't want to replace it again for following bad instructions.

Platinum Member
    maybe i should stop giving advice. while reading this, i thought about the last one i tightened. i ran it up with a 3/4 impact and moved the hub with my hand until i thought it was tight enough. still have no interest in buying a torque wrench. i can use that 6 or 7 hundred dollars somewhere else. before we bought the right socket, we used a chisel and hammer.

WOW 6 or 7 under dollars for a torque wrench that thing better me made of gold. I've seen them at advance auto parts for like $30-70.

Platinum Member
    1" wrench. 4 ft long. and not made out of gold. i do have a 3/8 like what you are talking about though.

ohh. ok duh I didn't notice it was 3/4 or 1". My bad yeah I got the little dinky ones haha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast