Thread: 02 Dodge Dakota Trans. stuck in park

02 Dodge Dakota Trans. stuck in park

My 02 Dakota Quad cab sport's transmission is stuck in park. It acts like it is frozen. |The temp outside is 13 deg. It worked fine yesterday, and it was that cold.

Platinum Member
    look under and verify that you have operation of the shift linkage. it may have frozen up and not allowing for it to work. did you set you e brake over night?? it may be frozen against the drum.

Quote Originally Posted by bradrhale View Post
    look under and verify that you have operation of the shift linkage. it may have frozen up and not allowing for it to work. did you set you e brake over night?? it may be frozen against the drum.
    The parking brake wouldn't have any effect on the shift linkage.

Where and how is it parked? (Street/driveway/parking lot? Level ground/uphill/downhill?)

Being parked on a hill can put a lot of force on the parking pawl in the tranny, making it difficult to shift out of park. I've also seen some trannies get jammed in park from just a gentle bump (someone parking behind, etc.)

What I do, and what I taught my g/f to do is... While your foot is still on the brake, and before shifting to park, use the other foot to set the parking brake, then shift into park and take your foot off. What that does is take a lot of the strain off the tranny and the linkage (putting it on the brakes, where it belongs). Starting up and going somewhere is the reverse, foot on the brake, shift to drive, release the parking brake and go.
    * SPACE FOR RENT *

Platinum Member
    i guess what i was thinking is that the vehicle was stuck in park meaning could not move. not that the tranny could not be shifted. perhaps i should get the coffee before answering the questions.

Auto Banned
    do you have to apply brake before shifting on that dodge.

Could be a defective brake lock mechanism too and I would think more likley. Might even be something as simple as a brake light. One of the work trucks, using cruise control, It would not kill the cruise after you tapped the brake pedal. Ended up being a rear brake light bulb out. If its not brake applied safety system, then BB's suggestion of being torque locked may be it too. Funny BB, I taught my wife and dauther the same exact thing. Do not put it in Park until the E brake is applied, then shut it off and put it on gear.
    85 Sierra Classic K1500
    85 Silverado K10
    84 Silverado C20

Quote Originally Posted by BernieB View Post
    The parking brake wouldn't have any effect on the shift linkage.

Where and how is it parked? (Street/driveway/parking lot? Level ground/uphill/downhill?)

Being parked on a hill can put a lot of force on the parking pawl in the tranny, making it difficult to shift out of park. I've also seen some trannies get jammed in park from just a gentle bump (someone parking behind, etc.)

What I do, and what I taught my g/f to do is... While your foot is still on the brake, and before shifting to park, use the other foot to set the parking brake, then shift into park and take your foot off. What that does is take a lot of the strain off the tranny and the linkage (putting it on the brakes, where it belongs). Starting up and going somewhere is the reverse, foot on the brake, shift to drive, release the parking brake and go.
    I guess the linkage must have been frozen. I let the truck run for a half hour and now it works fine.

Auto Banned
    good deal. cheap repair!!

Quote Originally Posted by rockyard37 View Post
    I guess the linkage must have been frozen. I let the truck run for a half hour and now it works fine.
    Great news. Thanks for the comeback and letting us know what it was.
    85 Sierra Classic K1500
    85 Silverado K10
    84 Silverado C20

Quote Originally Posted by hotrodpc View Post
    Could be a defective brake lock mechanism too and I would think more likley. Might even be something as simple as a brake light. One of the work trucks, using cruise control, It would not kill the cruise after you tapped the brake pedal. Ended up being a rear brake light bulb out. If its not brake applied safety system, then BB's suggestion of being torque locked may be it too. Funny BB, I taught my wife and dauther the same exact thing. Do not put it in Park until the E brake is applied, then shut it off and put it on gear.
    One of the nice benefits of doing this is that if the vehicle gets hit while it's parked the shock doesn't get transmitted through the drivetrain. I've seen trannies and mounts get damaged pretty bad even in minor accidents, and you don't always know about the damage until after you already have the check from the insurance company.
    * SPACE FOR RENT *