Thread: Slant Six Problem

Slant Six Problem

I hope someone can help me. I have a 1985 Dodge 150 Royale with a slant six motor. As it turns out the previous owner changed motors and the one that is in seems to be from the late 1970's (the valve cover is anyway). Here's the dilemma. The motor kept bogging down so I went through everything external (carburetor, distributor, plugs, cap, rotor and wires) kept skipping time so I replaced the timing chain. Here's where the dilemma comes. When I went to replace the timing chain, the timing marks were off, actually 180 degrees off. In both the chilton's manual and the Haynes manual, the timing marks are supposed to face each other. However before I removed the old timing chain the crankshaft mark was facing up like it is supposed to, however the camshaft mark was on top away from the crankshaft. The marks were in line with each other, just not facing each other. Well I kind of got prematurely excited figuring that was why the motor wouldn't run properly. So I followed the instructions in the manual and lined up the timing marks facing each other. Now the motor won’t run at all. Has anyone ever experienced this?

They werent off, Just needed to turn the crank shaft 180 degrees and they would have been right on. @ turns of the cam for 1 turn of the crank
    Window tint its for window, Not for tail lights. Don't be that guy .

Platinum Member
    like chevyguy said, they weren't off. the gears aren't the same size, so they won't line up on every revolution.
    <----just your average 5.3

When you install the timing gears both marks should face each other an number one cylinder should be at top dead center. Your distributor should face number one cylinder.If this does not start bring number one cylinder back up to top dead center and turn your distributor 180 degrees and it should run just fine.
    This is for the Slant six fellow

Or as already discussed, Leave then 180 out and turn the crank 1 revolution and they will be facing each other.

One of our junior members brought it to my attention that I came across as rude here, I apologize, I was just trying to help and keep it as simple as possible. Anyhow hope i didnt offend anyone.