Thread: 1993 F150 Came with 265/75R15 tires

1993 F150 Came with 265/75R15 tires

My son just picked up a 93 F150 XLT to run for awhile it has the 302 and is a auto and 4wd. reg cab with the 6ft. bed i was wondering why his truck came from the factory with 265/15 tires ? all the ones i have seen including a 1993 F150 XLT i had ( same moter size and trans. mine had the 8ft box and alminum wheels and two tone paint etc. ) came with the 235/75R15 tires . even some of the tire places i have called ( needs new tires ) have told me i am wrong with this size that they came with 235's but right on the door it says 265's. do you guys know why this is diffrent ? is it some kind of heavy duty or ? would really like to know. thanks for any help with this , its not a big deal but its just got us wondering why its diffrent !

Platinum Member
    dont know if it might make a difference but is his a Lariat edition??

No not that i know , all it has on it is XLT no leather or extra stuff like a lariat just you basic p/w , p/l cass. radio no power seats or anything.

Platinum Member
    you said his is 4wd. was yours??
    you got me on this one. very curious what reason someone comes up with.

Platinum Member
    could have been a factory option. my chevy had the option of either 245's or 265's from the factory.
    <----just your average 5.3

tire size

I think I can help here...

Ok, so Ford (specifically) used to allow for certain special options to be ordered from the factory by a potential buyer. Basically, in the mid 90's if you walked into a Ford dealership and they didn't have what you wanted on the lot, they'd try and locate one for you (which isn't uncommon at all). However, if they couldn't locate one, the dealer could submit a specail order form to the factory, and they'd build it to your likes.

So it is very possible that somebody walked into a Ford dealership back in 93' and said I want A, B, C, and a set of 265 tires. Which would explain why the factory plate on the door says that.

Or....

And this is porbably pretty unlikely due to the amount of detailed work it would take to make everything unison... but it could be a Frankentruck. And was pieced back together from parts from other trucks. Pretty unlikely though, you'd probably have already noticed that.

I hope my old days of being a Ford salesman just paid off here. Good luck.

Eric

Banned
    Go by the door, it should match what the build sheet says.

Quote Originally Posted by bradrhale View Post
    you said his is 4wd. was yours??
    you got me on this one. very curious what reason someone comes up with.
    yup mine was 4wd to

Quote Originally Posted by Erock80 View Post
    I think I can help here...

Ok, so Ford (specifically) used to allow for certain special options to be ordered from the factory by a potential buyer. Basically, in the mid 90's if you walked into a Ford dealership and they didn't have what you wanted on the lot, they'd try and locate one for you (which isn't uncommon at all). However, if they couldn't locate one, the dealer could submit a specail order form to the factory, and they'd build it to your likes.

So it is very possible that somebody walked into a Ford dealership back in 93' and said I want A, B, C, and a set of 265 tires. Which would explain why the factory plate on the door says that.

Or....

And this is porbably pretty unlikely due to the amount of detailed work it would take to make everything unison... but it could be a Frankentruck. And was pieced back together from parts from other trucks. Pretty unlikely though, you'd probably have already noticed that.

I hope my old days of being a Ford salesman just paid off here. Good luck.

Eric
    Thanks for the help had you seen any with the 265's ? you would have thought to that it would have came with the better wheels but people do order stuff diffrent sometimes , i talked to a ford parts guy the other day said he had never seen one with the factory 265 tires but said anything was pos. . did the broncos ever come with that size tires ? anybody know ?

Personally I couldn't say if I've ever seen one with the 265's. However, as you said, no big deal. The tag is what it is, the tires are what they are and I'm guessing the slightly wider tire probably makes the truck look a little meaner.

It's hard to say why the tire size is a little off, I'm pretty sure of my guess, but in reality, it's just a guess. Who the **** knows... maybe the factory ran out of 235's that day and stuck on 265's lol.