Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: uneven tire wear on outside of front tires

uneven tire wear on outside of front tires

Im going to take my truck to get looked at, just dont want to be totally stupid about what is happening when I get there. Could I get some ideas as to what can cause this?? Sometimes trucks vibrates at 75 mph...steering wheel doesnt seem to shake.??
    1990 Ford F350 Custom Dually
    5 Speed manual W/ 460 4:10 gears

Wear on the outside edge of the front tires is often caused by hard cornering. Even tight turns at low speed can really start to wear down the outside edges. I'd rotate them to the rear.

The vibe could be a number of things, but getting all 4 balanced would be a place to start.
    * SPACE FOR RENT *

could also be caused by to much toe in

Quote Originally Posted by Kennyray View Post
    could also be caused by to much toe in
    Could be, but you'd see feathering too in that case.
    * SPACE FOR RENT *

I believe that is also typical wear from Ford imfamous twin I-beam suspension (junk)

Have you added any additional weight to the bed or to any other part of the truck???? Tool box, bed mounted tank or anything like that?

While this can very well be a "toe" condition, it sounds more like a camber problem. Camber can be thrown off by adding more weight to a vehicle after an align,ent setting has been established.
    This may be a problem to rotate since is it a dually. Many duallies run steer tires and drive tires and one may never rotate them. The other problem is running aluminum wheels that prohibit tire rotation.
    You may have the tire shop break down the steer tires and change them front to front this way the inside become the outside on the opposite side of the truck.
    Either way you have to address your alignment issue.
    Your vibration could also be the tires scrubbing from the same problem, especially if the truck does this shake over highway bumps and road treansitions where the suspension is cycling and the camber is changing.

While I agree it can be a camber issue, or the notorious Ford I beam front suspension, I don't see that adding weight to the bed would cause this, unless it was a lot of weight almost at the tailgate. For the outer edge to wear from a bad camber setting there'd have to be a lot of positive camber, and that's only going to happen from weight if the weight is taken off the front end. Adding a behind the cab toolbox, or even a tank, puts the weight towards the center of the wheelbase, which would cause some slight negative camber, if any. And, my advice on rotating to the back was assuming (always bad to assume) that all 6 wheels and tires were the same.

Back when I had my shop we used to see this kind of wear a lot on Ford vans, and most of it was caused by the sharp positive camber you get when turning sharp corners. My shop was in NYC, so most of the vehicles we worked on were city driven. If this is happening with mostly highway driving, yes, I'd be inclined (no pun intended) to think "toe in" or positive camber. And, IIRC, camber on those older Fords was a PITA.
    * SPACE FOR RENT *

Platinum Member
    i disagree with the tire rotation if you are looking for a more permentant fix. tires that start to wear will continue to wear unevenly no matter where you put them. you can turn them around and they will still wear. my suggestion is to get an alignment as one curb can throw adjustments out of whack. those 2 tires will not last nor will they get near the mileage as your others.

Well, going with my original supposition, that it's being caused by cornering, there's no real "fix" for that because it's a design limitation. The best you can do then is try to get all the tires to wear evenly, and you do that by regular rotation. I agree that once the tires wear unevenly it really shortens their life, but rather than replacing them early IMHO it's better to get as much use out of them as possible, so rotating them to the rear, especially on the inner wheel of a dually, will let you use them without any serious issues.
    * SPACE FOR RENT *

Let me be more specific. The outside of the tires are wearing as such that there is good tread then worn tread then good and so on around my tires up front. Is that feathering??
    1990 Ford F350 Custom Dually
    5 Speed manual W/ 460 4:10 gears

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast