Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2001 ford f250 parking brake no workie

2001 ford f250 parking brake no workie

I know i drive a chevy in my personal life but at work I have to drive a ford a good bit lol.It has several typical ford issues but the main 2 are....Truck will barely go into park hardly ever no matter how hard you try and shifter rarely lines up on the selected gear.Ive seen this on many fords i`ve had as work trucks and I imagine its in the linkage.Someone told me the steering column had to be removed.That doesnt seem right for a linkage issue...Thoughts/opinions.

Next is the E brakehardly any pressure when you press the cable.I inspected it the length of the truck and it isnt broken.however,it does have an exsessive amount of slack in the cable.When you press it down it tightens up but obviously not enough.

My question is .....is there an adjustment for the e brake cable and is the column shifter issue really a 4 or 500 dollar repair as his(boss man) machanic told him?thanks fellas!
    1993 k1500 SWB reg.cab.5.7,4l60e.CAI,CAT!3" single exhaust from y-pipe to tip.3" in and out turbo muffler.

sounds like the brake cables need replaced

That what I was wondering.Is there an adjustment or is it just a replacement?
    1993 k1500 SWB reg.cab.5.7,4l60e.CAI,CAT!3" single exhaust from y-pipe to tip.3" in and out turbo muffler.

just a replacement. no adjustment for slack.

I'm guessing that the truck has 4 wheel disc brakes? If so then if there's not any adjustments in the cable itself then there should be tiny drum brakes in the rear for the e-brake and they can be adjusted just like any drum brake setup by turning the star adjuster. As for the shifter issue here is the procedure for adjusting it. I've never done it so I couldn't tell you if it really does work or not

Cable and Bracket Adjustment-5.4L, 6.8L, 7.3L Diesel With 4R100 Transmission

1. Place the gearshift lever in the D position.

• Place an eight pound weight on the gearshift lever.

1. Raise and support the vehicle.

1. Disconnect the transmission shift cable from the manual lever.

1. Unlock the lock tab on the transmission shift cable.

1. Place the manual control lever in the D position.

1 Place the manual control lever in the first gear position. 2 Move the manual control lever two detents to the D position.

1. Connect the transmission shift cable to the manual control lever.

1. Lock the transmission shift cable lock tab.
    2. Lower the vehicle.
    3. Remove the eight pound weight.
    4. Carefully move the gearshift lever from detent to detent and compare with transmission settings. Verify that the vehicle will start in PARK or NEUTRAL and backup lamps illuminate in REVERSE. If not, Steps 1-5 must be repeated and include digital TR or TR sensor adjustment in NEUTRAL. Readjust if necessary.
    Live Fast, Ride Hard

Parking Brake Cable Tension Release - Except Motorhome Chassis

1. NOTE: Make sure the parking brake control is fully released. Relieve the tension on the parking brake system.

1. Pull the front parking brake cable and conduit.
    2. Insert a suitable retainer in the parking brake control.

I found this for the e-brake cable adjustment but not sure what they mean by a suitable retainer?
    Live Fast, Ride Hard

If there's that much slack in the parking brake, chances are either the drum brakes aren't adjusted properly, or are worn out. While the cables have been known to stretch over time, it's rare for them to stretch that much.
    * SPACE FOR RENT *

very true. I have dealt with a couple with that prob with the e-brake but not many, But then again this is his work truck so god knows how much driving is done with the truck
    Live Fast, Ride Hard

Quote Originally Posted by chevy_girl_85 View Post
    very true. I have dealt with a couple with that prob with the e-brake but not many, But then again this is his work truck so god knows how much driving is done with the truck
    And God knows how much attention is paid to the parking brake on it during routine maintenance. It wouldn't surprise me to learn they were factory originals and had never been touched or adjusted since the day it left the Ford plant.
    * SPACE FOR RENT *

lol tell me about it. Where I work I think I'm only of the only ones that checks the e-brake or even the rear brakes themselves for that matter
    Live Fast, Ride Hard

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast