Thread: 04 F150 no injector pulse to one cylinder????

Angry 04 F150 no injector pulse to one cylinder????

I am working on an 04 F150 4x4 with about 75K on the 5.4 triton. I could feel the misfire as it sits and idles so i one at time pulled coil wires to determine which cylinder was missing It turned out to be The second cylinder from the front of engine on the passenger side..

well at first i thought it was the coil pack gone bad so i swapped coils on 2 cylinders to see if the miss changed and it didnt so i sctrached my head and got out the Noid lights and checked for injector pulse.

and every single injector except the second one back on the pass side had a pulse I looked at the connecter no loose wires or broken terminals and inspected the wires no breaks I am confused how only one cylinder doesnt have a pulse and no broken electronics If you have ever encountered this problem please reply
    "She's gonna Freak when she see's my wheels"

85' Chevy C-10 Longbox (Rat)
    TBI 327 Cu.In./THM350

90' Chevy Suburban 4x4
    TBI 350 Cu.In./700R4

http://www.truckforum.org/forums/truck-pictures-176.htm

It is still a COP problem. You have either water or anti freeze inside of the spark plug hole, and it has to be replaired. This water intrusion prevents the spark from reaching the plug and the plug will not fire. This lack of fire prevents the injector from changing state, and you will troubleshoot it till the cows come home without a positive result.
    Remove the plug, using the proper procedure and you should be fine after that.
    Often washing an engine or driving after some serious rain can result in this type os symptom.
    Id be willing to wager a cold adult beverage on this one.

what is the proper procedure exactly? I very rarley work on ford and the rumor is this motor likes to break the spark plugs off in the cylinder head when you try to remove them. you were referring to removing the spark plug correct? just so we are clear and not referring to the COP

TBI 327 Cu.In./THM350

90' Chevy Suburban 4x4
    TBI 350 Cu.In./700R4

Great !!!! So I need to buy a special tool imagine that That is why i hate Fords never a strait forward way to fix them with tools on hand

TBI 327 Cu.In./THM350

90' Chevy Suburban 4x4
    TBI 350 Cu.In./700R4

If you do decide to tackle it be very careful. I have heard of guys setting out just to do a plug change and it ending up costing them $2500.
    Ford should hang its head in shame.

You can get the plugs out.. Just be very careful to follow the steps exactly. I like to break them loose 1/8-1/4 turn and spray gunk engine degreaser in the hole along with some WD-40 to help it penetrate... allow to sit at least 1 hour. overnight is better. Then tighten and loosen the plug coming out a little further each time until it is a couple turns out at least. be sure to keep the socket straight on the plug by holding your ratchet on both ends as you turn... Should be fine 95% of the time. 75K is right on as usual... When the PCM sees a type A misfire (dead miss) it will kill injector pulse to that cylinder. this helps save the cat converter from being destroyed by raw fuel.
    Last edited by tjzz4; 03-11-2010 at 05:11 PM. Reason: spelling