Thread: 7.3 high pressure oil pump

7.3 high pressure oil pump

i noticed an oil leak on my truck, seems its coming from the high pressure oil pump located on top front of engine (03 7.3 power stroke turbo). is this a pretty straight forward repair. doesn't look to tough to do, remove pump and replace gasket.

just wanted to make sure that when i remove pump something aint gonna drop inside engine or something. i am gonna buy a manual before i tear into it, but was kinda hoping someone here has already done this and could gimme their feedback on this.

thanks..

pretty straight forward swap. just a little time consuming. there is a special tool that you need to remove the lines from the pump though. they can be a booger if you've never done it before.

be very careful not to overtorque the two 8mm bolts that bolt it to the front cover. very easy to pull the threads out. then you have to tear it all apart again and heli coil the holes...
    John Wayne

2000 F-350 7.3L Powerstroke 4x4

this 'special tool" in which you speak... can ya gimme a heads up on what it is and where i can get it. and when ya loosen those fittings, is that where the o rings are located?

thanks

i've never used the "ford" tool. I use the 9/16" side on a regular air angle/die grinder. if you look at the hose, youll see a black plastic "cap" stick the wrench between that cap and the hose. after the wrench is in pull out on the hose.

yes once you remove the hose you can unscrew the fittings and that is where the orings are. on the actual fitting itself. There is also a 3rd on the back of the pump. it is just a blanking plug with an o-ring as well. that is the most likely culprit on HPOP leaks.
    John Wayne

2000 F-350 7.3L Powerstroke 4x4

i took a closer look over the weekend, the pump isn't leaking. the leak seems to be at rear of engine, it's pretty tight back there so i couldn't see exactly where it's coming from.... but am relieved it's not the pump.