Thread: Edge front end noise

Edge front end noise

Well Im told my wifes Ford edge is considerd a truck.(thats what they tell me at the parts store) So if it dont belong here, I did wrong.

But here it goes. The front has a noise very similar to cupped tires,The hum of deep lugged truck tires. If I turn to the right it seems to almost go away, turn to the left there is no change. I jacked it up and checked for bearing play, put my hand on the spring while turning the wheel but didnt feel anything. Could it still be a bearing. Any oyher Ideas. If it is a bearing can an average DIYer do it. Any special tools needed.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated Thanks from my wife and I

Almost forgot

Its a 2007, 45,000 miles 6cylinder, front wheel drive

I assume you have verified that the tires are good? No uneven tread wear, tread not seoerating, no sidewall bulges?
    Does the noise get louder with speed?

Im sorry I forgot to mention, we put new goodyears on it because the old tires were worn and cupped, so I asuumed thats what the noise was. And no I would say it does not get louder with speed. I would say if any thing its more noticable when slowing down, and i thought that may be due to less engine or highway noise. The noise will go away when you turn somewhat hard right.

Thank You for your reply and your time

Platinum Member
    i would focus on passenger side components, seeing as vehicle weight is reduced on that side during right hand turns. have you tried putting it in neutral while going down the road? sound change?
    <----just your average 5.3

Yes i have coasted at highway speed to around 25 or 30 and there was not much change in sound, may be a little more nnoticable at about 30 to 40.

Thanks mudseeker

Platinum Member
    i would set the e-brake, block the rear tires, support the front end with jack stands and put the car/truck in gear. listen to the wheel bearings with a mechanics stethoscope.
    <----just your average 5.3

It Is a bearing... You need to put a mechanics stethescope on the hubs while wheels are spinning as Mud said.. The bearing would have to be pretty bad to feel play in it. The race is scored. The hub removal requires a ball joint tool and the bearing is pressed in the hub.

Thanks for the replys all. I will attempt to change bearing this weekend. I will post back with results.

Well I did replace the front right bearing, but dissapointed to report that didnt fix it. I did jack it up, blocked it and listened with a stethescope. There is a little tick on the left side almost not noticable. Would it make more and louder noise while going down the road. Could it be the left side when the sound goes away when you turn hard right.

Thanks.
    Trb454

I replaced the left bearing and that did it. It fixed it. After thinking about it and the bearings it could have been either side, being that the bearing gets loaded on both sides depending on which way you turn If that makes any sense.

I would like to say thanks to those that repied and helped me out.