Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying New 2012 Truck F250 6.2 Liter Gas vs. Sierra 2500HD 6 Liter Vortec

Buying New 2012 Truck F250 6.2 Liter Gas vs. Sierra 2500HD 6 Liter Vortec

4x4 F250 XL 4.30 axle vs 4x4 Sierra 2500HD 4.10 Axle looking for advice on which way to go.

From my research it seems the F250 XL packs towing with other nice features in a kind of plain work truck like vehicle which I like well enough and the 2500HD SLE trim is a bit nicer. Not as worried about looks as durability though. Both with 6 speed transmission including heavy duty transmission cooler for both and for some reason the Ford doesn't mention HD Engine Cooler, but Sierra does list it specifically. Perhaps it's automatically included or understood in the Ford, but I could not find an upgrade option for HD engine cooler for the 6.2 liter Ford.

The Ford is $4000 cheaper than the Sierra, and has factory goose/5th wheel and factory running boards. The both look very nice, the Sierra has nicer wheels, but no running boards or gooseneck/fifth wheel so that will make the Sierra cost even more.

I would like to keep the truck for a very long time and will take extremely good care of it. This is a one chance to get it right investment for me and I could squeeze the extra money from somewhere for the Sierra but not sure it is the best choice. The Sierra does include the rear view camera and rear window defrost, but that only accounts for well under $1000 in the GM.

The GM dealer says GMC is quality and Ford is quantity. I am sure Ford is quality too and if quantity or market leverage helps Ford offer lower cost quality items then as hard as I work for money I don't want to waste any.

My brain is fried now from studying specs for weeks and I have narrowed it all down to this and it is time to pull the trigger.

Neither dealer will reduce the price for me. It was like pulling teeth to get either to give me an extra $500 or so toward the deal. Ford's Truck Month isn't helping either and they sure aren't giving me 10 or 13k off of MSRP like their adds say this month. The Ford dealer told me it's like a loss leader ad where it only applies to 1 certain vehicle while quantities last and each dealership only gets 1 of the special vehicles so quantities won't last long. Yipes. Anyway...

Sorry for the long story, but any advice as to which truck would serve me best as a long term investment.

Needless to say, I do have towing needs.

Perhaps the question settles on is the Sierra worth that much more money when Ford seems to be a great truck in wide use. Granted the Ford engine is newer, but I had trouble finding any negative reports on the Ford 6.2 liter gas engine. Likewise I had trouble finding significant negative comments on the GM 6.0 liter Vortec either. (As info, I am not going with diesel, hince the gas engines research)

Can anybody help me? Thanks.

Its not worth asking here IMO, everyone will be biased. I'm a GM guy, I'd never buy a Ford.
    Chevy Power!

2005 Yukon, 5.3 V8, 75k, Fisher HT
    2006 Sierra 1500, 5.3 V8, 44k, Fisher MM2 7'6" RD
    1999 Tahoe, 5.7 V8, 93k, Fisher MM2 7'6" RD(New Blade 10/09)
    2011 Silverado 1500, 5.3 V8, 5k miles

IMO find a better dealer, everybody knows dealers are out to make money, and most are crooked as they come, if you want my 2 cents, if your going to be towing alot, go with a diesel, of not its all what you want, for me I would get the chevy, might see if you can find a silverado model if they still make those, might find one with a tow package built in, for me the newer chevy's we a couple of them at work we tow alot of stuff, from mowers, to small tractors to me the chevy's ride good are comfortable. Our boss has a new ford, and thats the ugleist uncomfortablest truck to sit it, drove weird, i hate it, to me its **** seem like ford just slapped it together and out the door. Its all in what you want, drive them both see what you like better, ride comfort, and all that. May even look up on consumer reports over past couple years between these trucks see what the reviews say.
    1994 white ext cab chevy silverado 5.7 rolling 230k miles
    stock with air filter lid flipped,
    open flowing exhaust to a 40 series flowmaster dumped.
    God Bless America, Support our Troops!

Quote Originally Posted by dirtrider73068 View Post
    IMO find a better dealer, everybody knows dealers are out to make money, and most are crooked as they come, if you want my 2 cents, if your going to be towing alot, go with a diesel, of not its all what you want, for me I would get the chevy, might see if you can find a silverado model if they still make those, might find one with a tow package built in, for me the newer chevy's we a couple of them at work we tow alot of stuff, from mowers, to small tractors to me the chevy's ride good are comfortable. Our boss has a new ford, and thats the ugleist uncomfortablest truck to sit it, drove weird, i hate it, to me its **** seem like ford just slapped it together and out the door. Its all in what you want, drive them both see what you like better, ride comfort, and all that. May even look up on consumer reports over past couple years between these trucks see what the reviews say.
    Thanks for your feedback. I appreciate the help.

Look into a HD Duramax im a GM man as well but Dodge has a good diesil truck as well it will pull a house maybe look for a used truck the diesil engine last LONG...........my brother has a HD truck it has ton's of power and my son in law has a 2005 Cummins it has been super as well. Buying a used truck is a good idea that way the first buyer is the one that takes the lose and not you look at a 2011 or older it won't hurt do the math.
    http://i961.photobucket.com/albums/ae98/falken86/dadnew-1.jpg

Look on the home page here of all the new posts..... Usually 95% chevy problems....

I'd roll with either one. Best option is to look at them both and see which one feels better. Me I like fords interior better. 6.0 and the 6.2 are both strong motors. At the end of the day it boils down to what makes your more comfortable....
    John Wayne

2000 F-350 7.3L Powerstroke 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by tjzz4 View Post
    Look on the home page here of all the new posts..... Usually 95% chevy problems....
    And of those post how old are those trucks, how many miles do they have. Most trucks are bought for one thing to use them, things wear out any truck no matter what model will have issues, I have had my Chevy for 10 years and not had any issues with it that were simple easy fixes, and it was normal wear on parts. Every vehicle has faults, its all what a owner wants.
    1994 white ext cab chevy silverado 5.7 rolling 230k miles
    stock with air filter lid flipped,
    open flowing exhaust to a 40 series flowmaster dumped.
    God Bless America, Support our Troops!

Mostly on this forum it's just simple statistics. The majority are Chevy owners....
    John Wayne

2000 F-350 7.3L Powerstroke 4x4

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tjzz4 View Post
    Because there is 95% more chevy on the road ...gitter done.
    To tempting...

Gitter done have fun. Running on empty...running blind...running behind.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast