Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2002 F-150 4.2L EGR valve

2002 F-150 4.2L EGR valve

Hi everyone,

I finally tracked down my buddy tonight and got him to use his code reader to see what is causing my SES light to come on. I got a P0401 (insufficient EGR flow) code. I had this code a few months ago and took my truck to the shop. They cleaned and re-used my EGR valve, and not even a week later, the SES light came on and has been on since. I'm assuming then, that my valve is no good and it needs replaced. Just wondering what everyone's thoughts might be on this.

Blog Entries
    Might be your dpfe sensor.WHERE IS MY DPFE SENSOR LOCATED ON MY FORD E250 4.2L ENGINE? - JustAnswer Or solenoid. Will find more vids on this.
    Click on red link for location of dfpe

Gitter done have fun. Running on empty...running blind...running behind.....

okay, I will check that out. I'm gonna have another look to see how good of a job the garage did cleaning out the carbon. I have a feeling they might have only cleaned the valve itself and not the ports on the intake.

most of the garages just use an aerosol to clean of valves and usually nothing else if theres still a little carbon of something with a little roughness but nothing to aggressive that'll alter the texture most commonly used by body shops is a red brillo pad
    Man is not perfect, machines were created by man, parts are created by machine, therefore parts fail/break bc there not perfect

DPFE is the most common failure for a P0401.

Just wanted to give everyone an update on my progress. I took the EGR valve off today and the valve was clean. However, the part on the intake that the EGR bolts too was plugged solid!! And I mean solid, there is no way any exhaust is moving through it. I'm in the process of removing the intake part (I'm not sure what it's called, but it's what the EGR bolts to, and it it bolted into the intake. I'm having a hard time removing the left side bolt (it's the bolt closest to passenger side of the engine compartment). I can't get a ratchet on it, but I can get my wrench on it a little. I'm scared that I might strip the bolt so I'm waiting to get some sort of ratcheting wrench at the parts store tomorrow before I go any further. There isn't a whole lot of clearance to work with on these engines. Anyone else have difficulty removing this bolt?
    I'm relieved that I found the problem, but it pisses me off that when I took this to a garage to get them to fix this EGR problem months ago, they only cleaned my valve. How could they not notice the extreme amount of carbon build up on the port??

Blog Entries
    Glad to hear it is going your way Thirdeye. Reason i join these forums ..garage ripoffs/tearoff s**ts. I,am just trying to help others.

Okay, I have a major problem. I still cannot get this last bolt removed. I bought a gearwrench (a wrench with a ratcheting end) but the head of the bolt is stripped and I can't get it out!! I might be able to get a small pair of vice grips on it, but I don't want to make things any worse than they already are. Is there anyway I can clean this carbon out without removing this part?? I'm scared of it being sucked into the engine though.

here are a few pics showing what I'm dealing with.Name:  IMG_2558.jpg
Views: 1806
Size:  81.4 KBName:  IMG_2559.jpg
Views: 1344
Size:  75.2 KBName:  IMG_2560.jpg
Views: 1384
Size:  81.3 KB

Blog Entries
    Seems it maybe stopped off a little .....get that carbon out enough to have a barbeque lol
    might have to drill and shoot that passage out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast