Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By elgemcdlf

Thread: NEED HELP AND INFO 1979 ford courier

NEED HELP AND INFO 1979 ford courier

hello i have a truck i need help and info on and any help would be great
    i have a 1979 ford courior with the 4x4 option the things i know about it are
    it started its life as a show only truck
    has 15,113 original miles
    has the 4x4 option installed
    was a one owner truck before me
    was in many issues of offroad and custom truck mags
    it was stock with a 4cylinder but looks like it might have a v6 in it i think? because of the 2 headers and the 6 spark plugs
    was modded pritty well from the original owner
    has a 4speed transmission
    and a 2 speed transfer case

the things and info i need help with are

what axles came on a stock 4x4 courier?
    will a ford ranger 5speed transmission bolt up to the motor in it? and if so what years should i look for?

and will a newer electronic shift ford ranger transfer case work with the ford ranger 5speed
    transmission?

i heard that some ford rangers came with a turbo diesel option? if so what were the motors called and what years should i look for ?

what i am looking to do with this truck it to make it back into the show truck it was before and mildly use it for off roading
    i want a 5speed transmission in it due to the tired sloppy 4 speed in it now and would like to have a turbo diesel instead of the v6

any help and info would be great

you can email me anytime at tollivermatt@gmail.com

or call or text me at 262-515-6901 with any info or parts
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Blog Entries
    There was no ford/mazda courier from the factory a 4x4 . Mazda started 4x4 in 87 on the B trucks . As far as rears look at tags on the rears.
    Only thing ford on the couriers were ford badges. And there were never any diesels ..4 cylinders gas only.

Gitter done have fun. Running on empty...running blind...running behind.....

Blog Entries
    Will not be able to run electric case..unless you get computer and wiring harness from a donor truck.

Quote Originally Posted by chevychase View Post
    Will not be able to run electric case..unless you get computer and wiring harness from a donor truck.
    THANX FOR THE INPUT ON THE Tcase

I KNOW STOCK COURIORS DIDNT COME AS A 4X4 ...BUT THEY DID OFFER A 4X4 OPTION BUT THE TRUCK HAD TO GO TO A 3RD PARTY SHOP TO HAVE THE CONVERSTION DONE AND THEY DID HAVE A DIESEL OPTION BUT ONLY IN FORD RANGERS BUT THEY ARE VERY HARD TO FIND .

Blog Entries
    Yes there were several companies doing 4x4 conversions of the Ford Courier... by adding a transfer case... and solid front axle beginning in 1975 . From 1975 to 1979 Northwest ATV in Kelso Washington converted about 1500 Couriers to 4WD, which were sold as the Ford Courier Sasquatch, in the WA.., OR.., CA.., and ID markets only. Other conversions of early 80's Couriers were done by other companies as well.

Quote Originally Posted by chevychase View Post
    Yes there were several companies doing 4x4 conversions of the Ford Courier... by adding a transfer case... and solid front axle beginning in 1975 . From 1975 to 1979 Northwest ATV in Kelso Washington converted about 1500 Couriers to 4WD, which were sold as the Ford Courier Sasquatch, in the WA.., OR.., CA.., and ID markets only. Other conversions of early 80's Couriers were done by other companies as well.

Did u just copy and paste this from offline?

I need to find out what axles were put into the trucks i was told they use toyota axles in the converstions i wanna do the rotors and brakes but dont know what is in it ... and my next problem is that i dont know the size of the v6 in it ? Like if i can get the block #s can u find out what kind it is for me?

That looks like a Ford 2.8 V6 from maybe a Mustang II or similar car. You need to crawl under the truck & look for tags on the trans & transfer case for real info. Is the transfer case divorced or not? Is the 4 spd a 4 spd or 3 with a creeper gear? Take a front wheel off & post some pics of the brakes & how the spindles mount. This will help with identification of the axle. Take some pics of the rear axle. It may be the original Courier axle just had the gears changed to match the front axle. 2 spd. transfer case? Are you saying it is only 2WD & 4WD or is it a 2WD, 4WD High, 4WD Low, or can you put the truck in low range while in 2WD? I only see a single shifter for the transfer case. If I were to guess I would bet you have 2WD High, Neutral, 4WD High & 4WD Low. In any case pics of the axles, brakes, trans & transfer case would greatly help. I would expect more Ford parts than you might think since it is running the 2.8 but that is no guarantee.

Some pics of the steering box would also be helpful. Ford built the small bodied Bronco up to '77. You might find a good portion of the parts are '77 Bronco.
    chevychase likes this.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by elgemcdlf View Post
    That looks like a Ford 2.8 V6 from maybe a Mustang II or similar car. You need to crawl under the truck & look for tags on the trans & transfer case for real info. Is the transfer case divorced or not? Is the 4 spd a 4 spd or 3 with a creeper gear? Take a front wheel off & post some pics of the brakes & how the spindles mount. This will help with identification of the axle. Take some pics of the rear axle. It may be the original Courier axle just had the gears changed to match the front axle. 2 spd. transfer case? Are you saying it is only 2WD & 4WD or is it a 2WD, 4WD High, 4WD Low, or can you put the truck in low range while in 2WD? I only see a single shifter for the transfer case. If I were to guess I would bet you have 2WD High, Neutral, 4WD High & 4WD Low. In any case pics of the axles, brakes, trans & transfer case would greatly help. I would expect more Ford parts than you might think since it is running the 2.8 but that is no guarantee.

Some pics of the steering box would also be helpful. Ford built the small bodied Bronco up to '77. You might find a good portion of the parts are '77 Bronco.
    Sheeweee glad someone with some ford knowledge jumped in.
    Gitter Done elemcdlf your da man.