Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1984 Ford

1984 Ford

I Have a 1984 Ford F-150 with a 4.9L 300 straight 6. I was wondering how hard would it be to remove all the emissions **** and electronics and switch to just a straight distributer with no computer or anything? Also do they make a kit for this kind of project? Thanx in advance.

You are gonna need a different distribuitor and cab to do that.
    Window tint its for window, Not for tail lights. Don't be that guy .

I notice your in Oregon, me too.

I am not familar with the ford straight 6. What type of emissions stuff is on there?
    Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock

I wouldn't do it.

Take all the emmisions stuff off and block all the emmision tubes but don't go backwards in ignition technology.

To do what you want you would have to get a mid 70's I6 points distributor and you would loose power when going to a points system. People with points usually leave it how it is untill they can afford an electroic upgrade and do so as soon as possible.

I beleve you only have an ignition computer and they are like $20 when they go bad.

On an 84 I think the only emmision stuff you have is an air pump and tubing to the exhaust manifold. Take the pump off the tubing out and plug/cover the hole left on the exhaust manifold. Thats all my 83 351ci V8 had on it for emissions. You might needa new belt when you take off the pump if the belt is running another component also.

No you dont have to go backwards as per say. Use a hei distribuitor with a vacuum advance and bypass all the computer garb. What part of Oregon are you in? Coos Bay here.
    Window tint its for window, Not for tail lights. Don't be that guy .

Thanks for the input. I live in Lebanon.
    1984 Ford F150
    2003 Ford F350 King Ranch
    2005 Toyota Tacoma SR5
    2002 Yamaha YZ125
    On a quiet night you can hear the chevys rusting...

Quote Originally Posted by 390FE
    I wouldn't do it.

Take all the emmisions stuff off and block all the emmision tubes but don't go backwards in ignition technology.

To do what you want you would have to get a mid 70's I6 points distributor and you would loose power when going to a points system. People with points usually leave it how it is untill they can afford an electroic upgrade and do so as soon as possible.

I beleve you only have an ignition computer and they are like $20 when they go bad.

On an 84 I think the only emmision stuff you have is an air pump and tubing to the exhaust manifold. Take the pump off the tubing out and plug/cover the hole left on the exhaust manifold. Thats all my 83 351ci V8 had on it for emissions. You might needa new belt when you take off the pump if the belt is running another component also.
    But the thing is if you take the emissions stuff off with the stock computer the truck runs like ****. so thats why we wanted to get rid of the computer cause we were also going to put a 4 barrel carb on. I have no idea how it would run with the 4 barrel with the stock computer.
    1984 Ford F150
    2005 Toyota Tacoma SR5
    2002 Yamaha YZ125

I'm pretty sure there is more emissions stuff then what you had on your truck 390FE
    1984 Ford F150
    2005 Toyota Tacoma SR5
    2002 Yamaha YZ125

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_F150
    But the thing is if you take the emissions stuff off with the stock computer the truck runs like ****. so thats why we wanted to get rid of the computer cause we were also going to put a 4 barrel carb on. I have no idea how it would run with the 4 barrel with the stock computer.
    PLEASE don`t try putting a 4 barrel on a inline6 you`ll flood it everytime you try to crank it, that would be way to much carb for it to run right and as far as the emission****, take it off and look into an MSD setup that will do away with the module like you wantyou will want to look for a point conversion kit to do this change over.
    Let me know how your doing with it.

3 quarter horses
    2 mules
    81 bronco 302 efi
    78 f250 400 w/ 750 edelbrok
    1 wife
    4 kids
    not sure which cost more each week

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast