Thread: dodge 4.7 vs chevy 4.8

dodge 4.7 vs chevy 4.8

My next truck is eather going to be a dodge ram 4x4 w/ the 4.7 and a 5 speed manual trans or a chevy silverado 4x4 w/ the 4.8 and a 5 speed manual trans, i really want a stick shift half ton truck, i was just wondering which of the two engines has more power ? i know that they say that the 4.8 has more power by the numbers, but i would like to know from people who have experienced them both in real life what has more power i am leaning towards the chevy

Currently, I live in Lancaster county, Pennsylvania.
    I cannot speak for Dodge, but I drove the 4.8l in the Chevy just the other day... I was impressed. Certainly a huge difference over the 4.3l.... LOL... But I would recomend the 5.3l in the Chevy. Stronger power, still has a manual shift trans, and with the AFM gets much much better gas mileage over the 4.8l. Something to think about.

i have a chevy with the 5.3 in it and it does have good power but i do not think they come with a stick shift and 4x4 only the 4.8 and 4.3 does and i really want a stick but not a v6

They do now... the 5.3l in the reg cab comes with it. I am looking at a purchase here soon myself, and was rationalizing upgrading the motor, and downgrading the tranny to stay at the same price. Funny, the 5.3l with a manual shift is still less expensive then the 4.8l with an automatic... cool huh? LOL

Well I have had a Dodge 4.7 for the last 5 years. And it is a powerful little ******. Pretty good gas mileage if you kept your foot out of it. But would flat out run, even towing a pontoon boat. Had very good service from that engine.

Hammer

hey now i am really intersted in the 5.3 with the stick if you could find a example of one i would really appreciate it and hammer you said that the 4.7 has some pretty good nut how is it compared to a chevy, and is yours a 5 spd manual trans

I wish I could show you an example.... I would have scanned the doc I got but I eneded up pricing the automatic. I know it is avail because I had the choice. I would say, call the dea;er and ask them. I went to GMC if that makes a difference over Chevy... but I doubt it.

No man mine was an auto. And as for the Chevy engine I have not driven one. I do drive a 5.7 Chevy and well being honest the 4.7 Dodge was a hot little motor with big power. I would not worry about that to much, I would just be sure either truck has a GOOD drive line and a GREAT 4 wheel drive. Because that is gonna be you weakest link. Either engine will be fine honestly. I think the 4.7 was only about 15 HP less than a 360 when I bought mine in 2002 new. And was only shy about that same number in torque.

Hammer

Oh and I just parted with a 360 powered 97 Ram and it 4 wheel drive was JUNK