Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: '97 5.7L Vortec timing reset question

he has not posted since 11-97, so i dont' think he will give you an answer.
    welcome to the forum
    post what your problem is and you will get answers
    4 wheels move the body
    2 wheels move the soul
    B.W.A.I
    Snow is a lot like religion and a lot like sex....you never know when you are going to get it!....or how much you will get

Platinum Member
    do you mean 2007??

many thanks to NCroadracer for the wonderful graffics to go with the explaination

jus swapped out the motor in my '98 chevy 1500 and forgot to mark the dis b4 i pulled it

will try to use this technique to correct my mis timmed engine

im pretty close as it runs and drives its just off enough to have no power and bog down under load

Platinum Member
    yall really have no idea just how popular this thread is.

i used the technique as directed however my dist shaft has no "8" notch but has a "6" notch what gives with this

i had it closer using a socket extension in the #1 sparkplug hole to find tdc and stabbing the dist with the rotor aligned to/as close to pointing at the #1 cyclender

help please

Oh yes i do!

Quote Originally Posted by bradrhale View Post
    yall really have no idea just how popular this thread is.
    I'm still having trouble with my 96 GMC Z71 and this "dizzy" thing was and is VERY helpful just like you said Brad. I'm getting ready to swap my coil with my brothers to see if this might be the answer to my problem.
    Last edited by itsbeal; 10-31-2009 at 08:13 AM. Reason: was not finished

My Crank pulley had two lines, I had a helper bump the key until I felt compression on number one, hand cranked the crank in the direction of rotation until I saw the timing mark aligned, set the non adjustable distributor in it's hole with the bolt loose and in advance of the 8 mark on the dist, kill cranked until the dist fell into the oil pump tang, tightened it down, and it fired! The rotor should be pointed directly toward the 8 when all the way in the manifold. No new parts! Good luck!

Need HELP dropping distributor in 1997 yukon 5.7l

My son took apart a yukon with blown heads. He didn't mark anything he took off. Now my husband is trying to put it all back together. He is having trouble dropping the distributor back into the intake. He said it doesn't have the 8 on it that the book has. How do you drop it in without the 8 and without someone marking what they took off? He doesn't see any marks on it at all.

I recently replaced both lower intake gaskets in my 99 tahoe (vin engine R)(and they had been replaced before) and marked everything i took apart and assembled everything as marked. After I connected the battery the check engine light was off. (it was on before i took it apart but i think leaving the battery disconnected for three days reset the pcm). After two drive cycles i got the p0300 code (random misfires) and the notorious p1345 (cam position sensor misaligned in relation to crank position sensor).
    -//-

i thought maybe i had been a tooth off or so when i dropped the distributor in so i put the engine at top dead center #1 on the compression stroke. On my harmonic balancer on my 99 vortec engine there is only one timing mark (in various manuals and online i have seen that some trucks have two marks on the balancer). this lined up exactly in the notch of the timing bracket. with this lined up perfectly i noticed the rotor was a little off of the little triangle with an 8 stamped on it (about 1/4" off). i loosened my distributor and moved that mark (the triangle with the raised 8 on it) to line up the point of the triangle directly with the middle of the rotor conductor. i then tightened the distributor and put the cap and intake back on.
    Last edited by atown_05; 04-17-2011 at 11:21 AM.
    -//-

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast