Thread: Shaking Front End

Shaking Front End

hello everyone

i have a weirdest problem in my truck. i have 2000 silverado, 4WD, IFS front.
    in general, it does fair. has 76K miles on it. shocks seem to be ok. steering appears to be tight enough, no excessive play. no noises coming from the front end, only the infamous steering shaft clunk.

anyways, it is not always repeatble issue, but if i go uphill, with front wheels slightly turned left, at anywhere over 50mph, and hit a slight bump on the road, enough to bounce front wheels up into the air - the whole entire front end can go into uncontrollable shake. it is both sidewise and up/down wise. slamming on brakes helps. it is a pretty major shake, depends how fast i go. i had that happen around 7-8 times so far, on a specific bump - 3 times.

it is hard to describe, but somehow it feels that wheels bounce up in the air, shake sidewise, and then pickup on amplitude of that shake, like as if going into resonance. have no explanation why, just feels like it. maybe because it feels sort of rubbery bouncing in the steering wheel.

i flashed light under the front end, everything appears to be in good shape, no leaks. i had alignment done maybe few mths ago, they always check tierod ends beforehand, had no concerns.

i let it go for some time, as it was very specific to a nearby area on frwy, so just learned how to approach it differently, but i had this happen twice this week, and it scares the **** out of me, so pronounced is it. almost like lowrider bouncing on hydraulics. once again, it just feels like wheels go into resonance after bounce.

any ideas? i am not sure i'll get reply notifications for this post, so if you could, please, email me direct to uwilcpo@gmail.com? what can cause this or what to check on? i am very good treeshade mechanic, no problem doing so. why do i have that strange feeling that it's just made this way?

possible answer

As a matter of fact, i might have found the answer. found a post with very similar symptoms, back from 2005. per owner, it was worn out pitman arm and idler arm. that might, also, explain what o thought was intermediate shaft clunk in steering.
    i'll check on those tomorrow, will post follow up.

check complete front steering for play, check shocks and steering shock, maybe they aligned it with incorrect caster angles and you get the "shopping cart" wheels effect which i have experienced manny times in my 05 superduty, when it happens it destroys steering shocks and both the front shocks, they usally blow out and leak everywere, its freakin scary when it happens but with my ford if you hit the brakes game over, your lucky to keep it on the road, it had something to do with being overloaded (cause it had a service body) and messing with front axle caster. are the tires inflated to proper pressure?, i know seting them to max pressure on the ole service truck helped abit.

Quote Originally Posted by stumpuller454 View Post
    check complete front steering for play, check shocks and steering shock, maybe they aligned it with incorrect caster angles and you get the "shopping cart" wheels effect which i have experienced manny times in my 05 superduty, when it happens it destroys steering shocks and both the front shocks, they usally blow out and leak everywere, its freakin scary when it happens but with my ford if you hit the brakes game over, your lucky to keep it on the road, it had something to do with being overloaded (cause it had a service body) and messing with front axle caster. are the tires inflated to proper pressure?, i know seting them to max pressure on the ole service truck helped abit.
    tires are good pressure wise. i have a lot of trust in that frame and body shop, they serviced my cars for long long time. i had it initially aligned at local les schwab, and the car was still pulling to the R, so i brought it back to vick's and they got it right.
    it's something in steering, as steering wheel goes sidewise like crazy, with up and down bounce. i don't think i have steering shocks, but if i do, then it might be the case, as the initial bounce is not dampened, but amplified.
    i'll get it on the stands tomorrow and see what's squicking. i donno if the previous owner offroaded the truck, but apperantly shot idler arm is very common in offroading.

ok, i took a closer look at my setup yesterday. i have steering gear with pitman arm attached to it, that attached to trailing arm with tierod ends attached to the trailing arm. on the passanger side there is idler arm attached to trailing arm and that arm is attached to what is called steering dampner, which is a sort of hydraulic impact absorber. i did not do any extensive checking, just scoped it, as my left arm decided to develop some sort of neuritis, so i do not really want to go under the truck onto the cold floor as of right now. no leaks or else was observed though. this sort of narrows down the wobble to ball joints in pitman or idler, and that dampner, otherwise, it's all solid, very thick metal parts, and i do not think they got bent or something.

i have a question though. is it possible to remove dampner without removing trailing arm?
    Last edited by ukrkoz; 02-09-2008 at 04:48 PM.

probably fixed

ok, had my hands on steering componentry today.
    tierod ends appear to be ok
    ball joints appear to be ok
    pitman appears to be ok
    idler arm had audible clunk in it when jiggling steering wheel left-right. and i could see play in the ball joint.
    so i replaced idler
    large cylinder it was attached to is not damper, it's just "housing" for idler arm pivoting bearings.
    to remove it i had to use 17mm deap socket and 21 mm socket for 2 bolts that hold housing in place to frame. in general, it's piece of cake to do, as far as you have right puller to disconnect idler ball joint from trailing rod. i got "front end tool set # 3" from schucks, it had very nice articulating puller with a recessed pivoting plate on the bolt end. worked nice. 15mm socket to operate. took some persuasion to break it lose, but i got all kinds of long wrenches and a cheat pipe, so we did fine.
    disconnected idler from housing in vise. put it back in took 5 minutes. i had to jamm ball joint end into trailing rod with c-clamp so it does not turn while i was tightening the crown nut.
    that's about it. $69.90 plus tax, tool kit free of charge. took me 2.5 hrs to drive to store, get the part, drive to another store to get tool kit, drive to store again to get crown nut that was missing in the idler arm box, drive to another store to get the nut as the 1st one did not have it, drive back to store 2 to return tool kit. he-he. well spent sunday, just my kind. otherwise - virtually 15 minute job. donno how much stealership would charge for it, probably around $160 labor only.
    test drove, steering is much tighter, almost no play. will jack it up again tomorrow and recheck on wheels play, if there's any left. of course, tuesday i'll drive over my favorite bump on I-5 to check if it'll bounce and shake.

now it's really done

almost forgot about this post.
    no, replacing idler did not cure the problem completely.
    what i ended up doing was replacing driver side hub assembly. i found significant play in it. new part was made in canada, i believe, and around $160 shucks. job was very easy to do, took me maybe half an hour. of course, i had to undo everything after, as i put brakes shield on backwards. otherwise - piece of cake.
    also, had KYB steering shock installed. another 15 min job, $67.
    that's it. no shakes, wabble, things of that nature.

Good to hear, you chased this for quite a while.
    That last post is what we're always looking for.

My 89 GMC Sierra K2500 4x4 had this issue. For the most part I think it's from a poor design. On mine the tie rods are at too much of an angle to begin with. add to this any play in all of the various front end parts and the front tires toe in and out ALOT when you encounter bumps and weight shifting. When mine got really bad I happened to notice when you put it in 4 low with the brakes applied the front tires toed in over 2 inches. This is after I broke a tie rod that had no noticeable play 2 weeks before. It took rebuilding the whole front end to fix it, hubs, shafts, tie rods, pitman arm, idler arm, control arm bushings, and tires, every time I was fixing one thing I found another. This truck was at factory ride height. It felt like the left front tire was bouncing like a basket ball.
    A co worker at the time had an 89 Chevy 2500 4x4 that sat at the same ride height as mine but his tie rods weren't at as severe of an angle as mine, his were nearly level infact. The only difference between them is mine was the 1 ton 2500 and his was the 3/4 ton 2500.

Quote Originally Posted by whooley View Post
    My 89 GMC Sierra K2500 4x4 had this issue. For the most part I think it's from a poor design. On mine the tie rods are at too much of an angle to begin with. add to this any play in all of the various front end parts and the front tires toe in and out ALOT when you encounter bumps and weight shifting. When mine got really bad I happened to notice when you put it in 4 low with the brakes applied the front tires toed in over 2 inches. This is after I broke a tie rod that had no noticeable play 2 weeks before. It took rebuilding the whole front end to fix it, hubs, shafts, tie rods, pitman arm, idler arm, control arm bushings, and tires, every time I was fixing one thing I found another. This truck was at factory ride height. It felt like the left front tire was bouncing like a basket ball.
    A co worker at the time had an 89 Chevy 2500 4x4 that sat at the same ride height as mine but his tie rods weren't at as severe of an angle as mine, his were nearly level infact. The only difference between them is mine was the 1 ton 2500 and his was the 3/4 ton 2500.
    I also had that problem... after u check and make sure all your steering componets are tight and the truck is properlly aligned there is a small allen bolt with a 16mm lock nut on the top of the steering box ... that is your over center steering adjustment .... you need to take up the clearance that has incured over the miles of pot holes this country is plagued wth .... anyways back to the adjustment bolt ....BE VERY CAREFUL WITH THIS ADJUST!! it donesnt take much to take up all the slack and it be too tight to even steer ... also a steering damper for this truck could rid the problem for good .......GM should have equip this truck with one in the first place...

Glad you found the problem. While 4X4ing mud can cake on the back on rim and you can have the same type of problem just sharing something. Happen to car that we were trying to balance a tire while on the car old school balance machine we found mud caked on the inside of wheel that did it. On my 57 a tie rod broke I found a cloths hanger wrapped it around and made it home. Way back in the 70's I had speakers in a box they were called mind blowers thay had built in amp's on them the box was in the middle of my bucket seats from a grand prix what we would do is go to South Padre Island take out the speaker box and a lot of people would park around my truck just to hear the music I had 35'' tires on it at that time it look killer for a 57 F-100 short bed those were the party years partying back then was different cops wouldn't bug you at the beach we once went into a Pizza Hut and asked for a pitcher of beer there was six of us the girl would come around and ask do you need another pitcher we would say no and the pitcher was full and so were our mugs we were sneaking in beers from the truck my buddy made a ice chest out of a whiskey barrel and mounted it in the back of his 53 chevy that thing could hold some beer and keep then super cold well we left beer cans on the floor of that pizza hut the girl could never figure it out. That's when I was young and dumb don't dare drink and drive guys.