Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ABS light come on my GMC Sierra 2003

ABS light come on my GMC Sierra 2003

I have a 2003 Silverado SLT... with 242,000 km (150,000 miles) I am having some problem with the ABS light come on and off after I started the truck, some time nothing!!! Took the truck to the GMC dealer today and they clean out the ground connections and told me if the light keep on coming on you will need to replace the EBCM... my question is: Is it possible we need to replace this EBCM... cost: $1,500 plus labor! Tks.

z07
    It's possible. But it's also possible that there were any number of other, and less expensive, problems. The next time you see the light, even if it goes off, drive to your local chain auto parts store, Advance for example, and have them pull all the stored codes. Write them down and post them up here. Helms sells the real factory service manual for your truck for about $100. In that book there are diagnostic steps for tracking down any code found. It could be a simple lose connector, bad ground, wheel sensor, or even air in the lines. Wrenching yourself is a great way to save some cash!

Platinum Member
    most off the shelf code readers including the ones the auto parts stores use can only access the powertrain system. other modules like the ABS will need to be read with a scanner such as a tech2. i would assume the dealer ship checked for stored codes, did they find any?

the ABS module will throw a code if there is an internal error, such as not being able to send or receive info.

think of the dealership as a doctor, if the problem returns, get a second opinion.
    <----just your average 5.3

if it is ebcm buy a used one, they are cheap, i have bought the whole unit before (elec module and hydraulic unit as 1) prices vary $100-$175 all worked great. 5 of them.

my o3 chevy does that and after i hit 5 or 10 mph it goes off but sometimes, like you, nothing. keep driving it. its been happening to me for 6 or 8 months but my abs still works (i can feel the pedal(sp) pluse if i stomp them hard on water or snow)
    1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.2 Full time 4WD NP249

ABS light come on my GMC Sierra 2003

Like to thank you guys for your suggestions and I will look in to this in a few weeks, it's still winter up here in Quebec!

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo543 View Post
    if it is ebcm buy a used one, they are cheap, i have bought the whole unit before
    (elec module and hydraulic unit as 1) prices vary $100-$175 all worked great. 5 of them.
    I'm curious, what year(s) were these for ? Why did you need 5 ?
    Where did you get them ?

work at mopar/gm dealer, trucks with higher miles it's hard to justify cost of new vs used. we us a company called aps (automotive parts solution)

Was worried that maybe you put 5 in the same truck, that would have been some story !!

Where can I get a discounted or used EBCM?

Used ones are mentioned and I was wondering where I could find one? I need an EBCM for a 2002 yukon XL.

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast