Thread: Changing out Ignition Switch 95 GMC 1500

Changing out Ignition Switch 95 GMC 1500

Hello everyone, I'm new here & not too proud of my first post being this one 'cuz it's my other truck that's more exciting to talk about, '56 international 5 ton - but that's another story, so, well here goes: about the 95 GMC pickup, Does anyone know whether you have to disable the airbag & take off the steering wheel to replace the ignition switch? Someone tried to steal my truck & hacked up the door handle to get in, then used a screwdriver or something to rip off the plastic cover over top of the ignition switch & jammed a screwdriver into the ignition switch . . . I have access to the ignition switch, just wondering if I have to remove the steering wheel & disable the airbag anyways to replace the ignition switch?

Thanks in advance for any sympathy &/or knowledge about this.

--Mike

Platinum Member
    it is fairly easy to remove it but it will require you to buy a special female torx bit to remove it. i think it cost me 5 or 10 dollars to buy mine at carquest. it is made just for GM ignition switches. if your just replacing the lock cylinder, then you will not need this tool

tilt your column all the way down, then pull the plastic piece of the handle that you just used to tilt your column. next remove the 3 or 4 screws from underneath you column so you can separate the 2 pieces. to get the top piece off to remove the lock cylinder, i took a pair of side cutters and sniped the cover just below the lock cylinder. i couldn't figure out any other way to get the cover over it so i just cut it. you can't tell once it's back together.

anyways, if i remember right you need to insert the key and give it a quarter turn, then insert a pick or awl in the small hole to release the lock cylinder.
    <----just your average 5.3

Thanks for that, I hope I can get the old one out because I cannot turn the key as it doesn't go all the way in - they really screwed it up when they jammed that screwdriver in there. So you didn't take off the steering wheel or have to disable the airbag? I have that worthless "Haynes Manual" & that's what it recommends, I think I may just toss that thing, everytime I go to do something & reference that, it's either wrong or it doesn't show nearly enough information.

Thanks

Platinum Member
    removeing the steering wheel is not needed. i checked autozones repair section and the say to remove the steering wheel also, but it is not needed.

i have done my truck and a f-150 and neither of them required the removal of the steering wheel, just the trim around the column. the ford had the release hole under the lock cylinder and i'm pretty sure my chevy had the release hole above the lock cylinder.

as far as i can remember, the lock cylinder needs to be turned to the run position for it to come out of the column. my truck will be going under the knife in a week, so if you can't figure it out by then i might be able to tear mine apart to confirm my advice.

Thanks Mudseeker, I may have to pry it out, I'll probably get to it today. I'll first try to get the key in enough to turn it, but I don't think it'll happen. I may be able to get a big screwdriver under enough of a lip to pop it out. I hope I don't really mess something up in there though. Just glad I don't have to take off the steering wheel & all.

What's your truck going in for?

Platinum Member
    got to fix the injectors

Platinum Member
    this is on an s-10 but this is the hole you should be looking for. again, you do not need to remove he stering wheel like this guy did. he only did for better access of the camera.

ok, I got it out, but then I put it back in & I got the key to turn it . . . then I worked the key a bunch of times and now it's working, so I'm just going to leave this one in there. I see what you mean about cutting the top cover just under the ign. I just clipped it a little & it slips right in . . . can't even see it. Thanks Mudseeker.

ps, what year is the truck you're fixing injectors on?

Platinum Member
    glad you were able to get it to work.
    mine's a '97, it's problems are always good forum entertainment.